John Barnes (author)
Two of his novels, The Sky So Big and Black and The Duke of Uranium have been reviewed as having content appropriate for a young adult readership, comparing favorably to Robert A. Heinlein's "juvenile" novels. He has contributed to the Internet Evolution website.
Barnes earned a B.A. degree from Washington University, an M.A. degree from the University of Montana, and a Ph.D. degree in theater from the University of Pittsburgh. He has taught at Western State College. He lives in Colorado.
Century Next Door series
Thousand Cultures series
The four novels in the Thousand Cultures series include the theme of the effects of globalization, at an interstellar scale, on isolated societies.
- A Million Open Doors (1992)
- Earth Made of Glass (1998)
- The Merchants of Souls (2001)
- The Armies of Memory (2006)
Time Raider series
Timeline Wars series
- Patton's Spaceship (1997)
- Washington's Dirigible (1997)
- Caesar's Bicycle (1997)
- Timeline Wars (1997) (omnibus volume)
Jak Jinnaka series
The Last President was originally scheduled for 2012. Barnes has written that the delay was caused by disagreements between him and the publisher over the direction the series was taking. As of 2012, plans are for The Last President to be the final book in the series published by Ace, with future volumes self-published. Barnes is considering re-writing the first two books to make them more consistent with his original conception of the series.
- The Man Who Pulled Down the Sky (1987)
- Sin of Origin (1988)
- Mother of Storms (1994)
- Encounter With Tiber, with Buzz Aldrin (1996)
- One For the Morning Glory (1996)
- Apocalypses & Apostrophes (1998) (short story collection)
- Finity (1999)
- The Return, with Buzz Aldrin (2001)
- Gaudeamus (2004)
- Payback City (2007) (thriller, written in 1997, self-published e-book)
- Tales of the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance, 1973 (2009) (non-sf novel, a Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book)
- Losers in Space (2012) (YA/SF)
- Raise the Gipper! (2012) (sf/fantasy/political satire)
- Nebula Award Best Novel nominee (1992) : Orbital Resonance
- Nebula Award Best Novel nominee (1993) : A Million Open Doors
- Hugo Award Best Novel nominee (1995) : Mother of Storms
- Nebula Award Best Novel nominee (1996) : Mother of Storms
- Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book (2010): Tales of the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance 1973
- One True, fictional artificial intelligence central to the Century Next Door series.
- Review, The Sky So Big and Black and The Duke of Uranium reviews at Locus
- Barnes autobiographical sketch at Amazon.com
- biographical information at Barnes weblog
- "Amazon.com Customer Discussions > John Barnes forum Has Daybreak 3 - "The Last President" been cancelled???".
- * Finity review, x, y, z, t: dimensions of science fiction, Damien Broderick, 2004, p. 152
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: John Barnes|
- John Barnes at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Barnes home page
- Barnes personal weblog
- Barnes weblog (old, inactive)
- 2008 interview at HardSF website