John Barraclough (RAF officer)
|Sir John Barraclough|
|Born||2 May 1918|
|Died||10 May 2008 (age 90)|
|Service/branch||Royal Air Force|
|Years of service||1935–1976|
|Rank||Air Chief Marshal|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Distinguished Flying Cross
Air Force Cross
He served in World War II flying maritime patrol aircraft. On 29 October 1940, it was gazetted that he was promoted to flying officer on 3 September 1940. However, on 14 January 1941, this was substituted for the granting of the war substantive rank of flying officer back dated to 12 August 1940. He was promoted to war substantive flight lieutenant on 12 August 1941. By February 1943, he was an acting squadron leader and flying with No. 209 Squadron RAF which was stationed in East Africa. On 14 March 1943, he was promoted to flight lieutenant. By the end of 1945, he was an acting wing commander.
He became Director of Public Relations for the RAF in 1961 and Air Officer Commanding No. 19 Group RAF in 1964. He then became Air Office Administration for Bomber Command in 1967 and for Strike Command in 1968. In 1970 he became Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff and in 1972 he was made Air Secretary. His last appointment was as Commandant of the Royal College of Defence Studies in 1974.
In 1946 he married Maureen McCormack and they went on to have one daughter.
Honours and decorations
Barraclough was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) on 16 February 1943 "for gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations". It was gazetted in the 1946 New Year Honours, that he had been Mentioned in Despatches.
- Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath – 13 June 1970
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire – 10 June 1961
- Distinguished Flying Cross – 16 February 1943
- Air Force Cross – 1941
- Officer of the Venerable Order of Saint John – 1985
- Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air – 1 June 1953
- Mentioned in Despatches – 1 January 1946
- Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- FBIM (MBIM)
- FIPR (MIPR)
- Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation - Air Chief Marshal Sir John Barraclough
- The London Gazette: . 29 October 1940. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- The London Gazette: . 14 January 1941. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- The London Gazette: . 30 September 1941. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- The London Gazette: . 12 February 1943. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- The London Gazette: . 1 June 1943. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- The London Gazette: . 28 December 1945. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- The London Gazette: . 23 January 1984. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- Sir John Barraclough Daily Telegraph, 11 May 2008
- The London Gazette: . 20 December 1968. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Telegraph.co.uk - Air Chief Marshal Sir John Barraclough
- Times Online - Air Chief Marshal Sir John Barraclough
- Independent.co.uk - Air Chief Marshal Sir John Barraclough
Sir Ian Hogg
|Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff
Sir John Gibbon
Sir Gareth Clayton
Sir Derek Hodgkinson
Sir Anthony Read
|Commandant of the Royal College of Defence Studies
Sir Ian Easton
Sir Desmond Dreyer
|Gentleman Usher to the Sword of State
Sir Edward Burgess
|This biographical article related to the Royal Air Force is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|