|John J. Benedetto|
16 July 1939 |
|Residence||College Park, MD|
|Institutions||University of Maryland|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto|
|Doctoral advisor||Chandler Davis|
|Known for||Harmonic analysis, wavelet analysis, frame theory|
John Joseph Benedetto (born 1939-07-16) is a Professor of Mathematics at the University of Maryland, College Park and is a leading researcher in wavelet analysis and Director of the Norbert Wiener Center for Harmonic Analysis and Applications. He was named Distinguished Scholar-Teacher by the University of Maryland in 1999 and has directed 47 Ph.D students. The volume Harmonic Analysis and Applications: In Honor of John Benedetto, edited by Christopher Heil, describes his influence:
John J. Benedetto has had a profound influence not only on the direction of harmonic analysis and its applications, but also on the entire community of people involved in the field.
Because of this influence, he was awarded the 2011 SPIE Wavelet Pioneer award.
Benedetto attended Boston College, graduating in 1960 with a B.A. in Mathematics. He received an M.A. from Harvard University in 1962, and moved to the University of Toronto, where he was the first student to receive a Ph.D. from then-37 year old Chandler Davis. His dissertation was The Laplace Transform of Generalized Functions.
Benedetto founded the Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications in 1994, published by Birkhäuser. He also founded a book series for Birkhäuser in Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis. He has edited or co-authored 10 books and published over 180 research papers.
- (1966) Generalized Functions
- (1971) Harmonic Analysis on Totally Disconnected Sets
- (1975) Spectral Synthesis
- (1976) Real Variable and Integration with Historical Notes
- (1977) A Mathematical Approach to Mathematics Appreciation
- (1994) Wavelets: Mathematics and Applications, with M. Frazier
- (1996) Harmonic Analysis and Applications
- (2001) Modern Sampling Theory: Mathematics and Applications, with P. Ferreira
- (2004) Sampling, Wavelets, and Tomography, with A. Zayed
- (2009) Integration and Modern Analysis, with Wojciech Czaja
- Speaker Bio from NIST
- Norbert Wiener Center for Harmonic Analysis and Applications
- Mathematics genealogy project
- Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications
- Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis
- Harmonic Analysis and Applications, A volume in honor of John J. Benedetto (C. Heil, editor) Birkhäuser, Boston, 2006.
- ICA Wavelet Pioneers