|The Very Rev. John M. Berg|
|Born||1970 (age 42–43)|
Thomas Aquinas College (B.A., 1993)
|Title||Superior General of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter|
|Predecessor||The Rev. Arnaud Devillers|
John Marcus Berg, F.S.S.P. (born 1970) is a Catholic priest, currently serving as the third Superior General of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. He was elected on July 7, 2006 by the General Chapter of the Fraternity at its mother house in Wigratzbad, Germany for a six-year term. Fr. Berg was elected to a second term as Superior General at the FSSP's fifth General Chapter in July 2012.
An American citizen, John Berg was born to a Catholic family in Minnesota in 1970. Berg studied philosophy at Thomas Aquinas College in California from 1989 to 1993, where he discerned a vocation to the priesthood. In 1994, he entered the congregation's seminary in Wigratzbad, where he studied for two years; he finished his studies with a Licentiate in Dogmatic Theology from the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross in Rome. Ordained by Bishop James Timlin of Scranton on September 6, 1997, he has worked as both a pastor and as a seminary professor. Until his election to Superior General, Berg was chaplain of the Latin Mass Community of Sacramento, California.
On July 7, 2007, the first anniversary of Berg's election as Superior General, Pope Benedict XVI issued the motu proprio Summorum pontificum, reaffirming that Latin Rite priests of the Catholic Church are free to use the books of the 1962 Roman Missal as an extraordinary form of the Roman Rite. In accordance with the rules governing the society of which he has become superior general, Berg has celebrated Low Mass, Sung Mass, and Solemn Mass in Latin using this form of the Roman Rite.
- Mershon, Brian (July 5, 2007). "Full Traditional Parish Life Most Beneficial for Diocese & Faithful: FSSP Superior General Grants First Public Interview". The Remnant. Retrieved June 10, 2010.
- "End of 2012 Chapter: Communiqué of the Superior General". July 18, 2012. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- "The First Seminary Chapel in the Country Built for Seminarians in the Extraordinary Form (A Biography for Father John Marcus Berg, FSSP)" (Press release). Catholic PRWire. January 22, 2010. Retrieved June 10, 2010.
- "Superior General: Rev. Fr. John Berg". Biographical notes of the persons in charge for the FSSP. Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. August 23, 2006. Retrieved June 10, 2010.
- Archbold, Patrick (July 7, 2007). "Letter to Accompany Summorum Pontificum". Retrieved June 10, 2010.
- Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter - international website with pages in English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Polish, and Latin
- An interview with Fr. Berg from The Remnant, 2007
|Superior General of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter