John Bertrand (Australian sailor)
|Bronze||Montreal 1976||Finn Class|
John Edwin Bertrand AM (born 20 December 1946 in Melbourne, Victoria) is a yachtsman from Australia, who skippered Australia II to victory in the 1983 America's Cup, ending 132 years of American supremacy. Bertrand won the bronze medal in the Finn competition at the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal. He is a member of Royal Brighton Yacht Club in Melbourne Australia, and currently competes in the Etchells class boats. He has been married for many years to Rasa Bertrand, whom he met as a student.
John Bertrand wrote Born to Win about the 1983 America's Cup victory, including insightful observations on the strategy for an unfavoured team against very long odds.
Bertrand is currently the chairman of the Sport Australia Hall of Fame & The Alannah and Madeline Foundation, named after Alannah & Madeline Mikac, who were murdered in the Port Arthur massacre. Following the 2nd Test in Sydney in 2007 between India and Australia, Bertrand criticised the Australian cricket team, saying their attitude was damaging international relations.
- 26 January 1984: Member of the Order of Australia in recognition of service to yachting, particularly as helmsman of the Australia II in the America's Cup challenge 1983.
- 10 December 1985: Induction into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame
- 18 September 1993: Member of the America's Cup Hall of Fame for outstanding achievement in the America's Cup.
- 14 July 2000: Australian Sports Medal for outstanding achievement in the America's Cup and general contribution
- 1 January 2001: Centenary Medal for service to Australian society through the sport of Sailing.
- Bertrand, John Born to win : a lifelong struggle to capture the America's Cup (as told to Patrick Robinson). Sydney : Bantam Books, c1985. ISBN 0-553-05118-0. Also published: New York: Hearst Marine Books, 1985.
- Prominent alumni: Mr John Bertrand, AM, Monash University
- America's Cup Hall of Fame biography
|This biographical article related to yacht racing in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|