June 16, 1943 |
|Residence||Swadlincote, South Derbyshire, England|
|Occupation||Owner of Bloor Holdings
Chairman of Bloor Homes
Owner of Triumph Motorcycles Ltd
|Net worth||£ 750 million|
John Stuart Bloor OBE, (born 16 June 1943) is an English business magnate. His business, Bloor Holdings, owns both Bloor Homes (a leading housebuilding organisation) and Triumph Motorcycles (an important motorcycle brand).
Bloor was born in a small Derbyshire village, his father was a coal miner. He suffered from health problems, and long absences from school limited his formal education, leaving school at the age of 15.
Bloor's first job was as a trainee plasterer for a local building contractor. Two years later he set up his own business and began building his first house before he was 20. His building company, Bloor Homes, is now one of the largest privately owned house builders in the UK, and has contributed to the successful regeneration of the East Midlands. In 2002, housing sales reached 1,870 making Bloor Homes then the largest housebuilder to be owned by one man.
While attending the auction of the site of the former Triumph factory to buy the site for house construction, Bloor bought the collapsed Triumph brand in 1983. After sub-licensing the brand for a period, he invested over £80 million into rebuilding the marque, opening the new Hinckley factory in 1991. After a factory fire in 2002 stopped production, the factory was rebuilt as one of the most efficient motorcycle factories in the world, and now produces 46,000 motorcycles per annum.
- In 1995 Bloor was awarded the OBE for services to the motorcycle industry
- Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Leicester
- Sunday Times Rich List - Wealthiest Brits in motoring, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- Company Director Check
- "John Bloor". Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- "Sunday Times Rich List". The Times (London). Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- Wellings, Fred: Dictionary of British Housebuilders (2006) Troubador. ISBN 978-0-9552965-0-5.
- "John Bloor £650m". Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- Brown, Stuart F. (2002-04-01). "A Sweet Triumph". CNN. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- "Triumph roars back". The Times (London). 2005-06-19. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- "Businessman and Entrepreneur to be Honoured by University". Retrieved 2008-09-12.