John Burroughs Middle School (Los Angeles)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|John Burroughs Middle School|
To Win Honorably, To Lose Gracefully, To Cooperate Generously, To Learn Respectfully
|600 S. McCadden Pl.
Los Angeles, CA 90005
|School district||Los Angeles Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
John Burroughs Middle School is a public middle school in Hancock Park, Los Angeles, California. The school serves the Hancock Park, Koreatown, Mid-Wilshire and Windsor Square section of Los Angeles, California. Additionally, it serves portions of Park La Brea, Brookside, and a small portion of the city of West Hollywood is zoned to Burroughs.
The school serves about 2,300 students in grades 6-8, and is part of the Los Angeles Unified School District and Local District 3. It is a traditional year school that also offers a Magnet program and a School for Advanced Studies (SAS).
The Junior High in the school's name was replaced with Middle at the beginning of the 1994-1995 school year to coincide with the state's policy of placing 6th graders in middle schools and 9th graders in high school. This was part of an attempt to ease overcrowding at many elementary schools.
The school reached the 800 milestone during the 2008-2009 school year by scoring 811 on the Academic Performance Index (API). Then 897 in 2013.
In popular culture
The school has been a popular filming location for films, television programs, and commercials:
- The Haunting of Molly Hartley (interior)
- Nightmare on Elm Street (interior)
- Deep Impact (the school auditorium)
- Rebound (the outside of the school)
- Beauty Shop (the whole front of the school)
- Pleasantville (the front of the school)
- Never Been Kissed (most of the film was set in the school)
- 1997 Airwalk commercial (skateboards through lobby)
- Family Matters (exterior only)
- Agent Cody Banks (exterior)
- Teen Wolf (interior and exterior)
- Pretty in Pink (interior and exterior)
- Like Father Like Son (interior)
- The Meteor Man (interior)
- Casper (film) (in front of school and interior)
- Bad Teacher (most of the film was set in the school)
- Prom (film) (front and interior)
- Supernatural - ("after school special" episode) (tv series) (interior and exterior)
- teaching Mrs.Tingle (film) (in front of school and interior)
Calvin Gilmer (pka Tweed Cadillac))Gold Album Recording Artist with Ruthless Records/Priority Records in the early 90"s
- Laila Ali, female boxer
- Byron Allen, TV personality & producer
- Omarion, R&B singer
- Tyra Banks, model & actress
- Darrin Bell, nationally syndicated cartoonist
- Smear (Cristian Gheorghiu) Contemporary artist/painter, Street artist 
- Khleo Thomas, actor
- Gavin Arvizo, "The Accuser" in the 2005 child molestation trial involving pop icon Michael Jackson
- Tuan Le, poker champion
- James Ellroy, novelist
- Frenchie Davis, singer, actress, TV Personality ("American Idol")
- Horace Hahn, actor.
- Janet Fitch, novelist
- Eric Mun, singer, actor, rapper, member of group Shinhwa
- Casey Veggies, rapper, former member of Odd Future
Dickie Moore, Child Actor Leatrice Joy Gilbert, actress, daughter of silent film stars John Gilbert and Leatrice Joy
- "Contact." John Burroughs Middle School. Retrieved on March 23, 2010.
- "Hancock Park's Boundaries." Hancock Park Homeowners Association. Retrieved on March 23, 2010.
- Cohen, Allison B. (27 February 2005). "A touch of magic in the city". Los Angeles Times.[dead link]
- Burroughs Middle School History
- 2009 Growth API School Report - John Burroughs Middle
- Gheorghiu, Cristian (July 5th, 2012). "KCET interview". www.kcet.org. Retrieved July 8th, 2012.
- Elsworth, Catherine (15 March 2005). "Teenager admits saying Jackson did not molest him - Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Staff, Idyllwild Town Crier Online, Idyllwild Publications, Obituary Horace L. Hahn Jan. 31, 2003, Retrieved 14 March 2012