John C. D'Amico
|John C. D'Amico|
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
from the 15th district
June 12, 1962 |
Education and career
In August 2008, Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich told reporters that some legislators were fearful of voting for his capital bill due to the threat of losing their jobs with the city of Chicago. Blagojevich told reporters: "They fear their leader, Mr. Madigan, and if Mike Madigan tells them to vote a certain way, they will tell you privately, and I've had these discussions with a couple of state reps, one of whom said, 'I'm afraid if I vote for the jobs bill I'll be fired from my job at Streets and Sanitations [sic]. I'm afraid I'll lose my job.'" The one state legislator who works at the Streets and Sanitation Department in Chicago is Rich Bradley, who told the Chicago Sun-Times that he hadn't talked to Blagojevich in about two years. Rep. Gary Hannig told the newspaper that Blagojevich had told House Democrats he was referring to D'Amico. When contacted, D'Amico said that Blagojevich had asked him if he feared losing his job, at which point D'Amico said that he had been in a union for 26 years and could not be fired easily, and instead he opposed the capital bill because Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley opposed it.
He represents the 15th District, and serves on several committees:
- Appropriations-Public Safety
- Elections & Campaign Reform (Vice-Chairperson
- Electric Utility Oversight
- Transportation & Motor Vehicles
- Workers' Compensation and Unemployment
- Committee of the Whole
He is a member of the Edgebrook Community Association, St. Edwards Athletic Advisory Committee, City Club of Chicago, Mayfair Lions Club, Queen of All Saints Men's Club and the Edgebrook Sauganash Athletic Association.
D'Amico and his wife Christine have three children. His aunt is Alderman Laurino of Chicago's 39th Ward.
- Miller, Rich (2008-08-08). "Once again, Blagojevich proves why he can't be trusted". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- Representative John D'Amico (D) 15th District at the Illinois General Assembly
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- John C. D'Amico at Illinois House Democrats