John C. Inglis
|John C. Inglis|
|Inglis in September 2006|
|17th Deputy Director of the National Security Agency|
|President||George W. Bush
|Preceded by||William B. Black, Jr.|
29 October 1954 |
Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
|Alma mater||United States Air Force Academy
George Washington University
Johns Hopkins University
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch|| United States Air Force
U.S. Air National Guard
|Years of service||1976-2006|
|Unit||National Security Agency|
|Commands||Maryland ANG, Chief of Staff|
Early life and education
A 1972 graduate of Andover High School (Linthicum, Maryland) Chris Inglis attended the United States Air Force Academy, graduating in 1976 as a Distinguished Graduate with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering Mechanics.
- 1996 - Graduate of Air War College, USAF Squadron Officers School, Air Command and Staff College
- 1990 - Graduated George Washington University, Professional Degree Computer Science
- 1984 - Graduated Johns Hopkins University, M.S. in Computer Science
- 1977 - Graduated Columbia University, M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- 1976 - Graduated U.S. Air Force Academy, B.S. in Engineering Mechanics
Inglis' military schools include Undergraduate and Instructor Pilot Training, Squadron Officer School, Air Command and Staff College, and the Air War College. He was designated by the Air Force as an Outstanding Graduate of the Air War College
- 2006 - Current - Deputy Director of the National Security Agency
- 2003 - 2006 - Special United States Liaison Officer - London
- 2001 - 2003 - Signals Intelligence Deputy Director for Analysis and Production
- 1999 - 2001 - Chief, Office of China and Korea, Operations Directorate
- 1998 - 1999 - Deputy Chief, Office of China and Korea, Operations Directorate
- 1997 - Promoted to the Senior Executive Service
- 1996 - 1997 - Senior Operations Officer, National Security Operations Center
- 1995 - 1996 - Deputy Chief, NSA Office of Encryption Policy
- 1992 - 1995 - Participant in Senior Cryptologic Executive Development Program Management and staff tours in the Directorates of Operations, Information Systems Security and Plans and Programs.
- 1991 - 1992 - Visiting Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY
- 1986 - 1991 - Information Security Analyst and Manager up through division level within NSA's Information Systems Security Directorate.
- 2004 - Presidential Rank Award for Distinguished Service
- 2002 - Exceptional Civilian Service Award
- 2001 - Deputy Director of Operations Special Recognition Award
- 2000 - Presidential Rank Award for Meritorious Service
- 1996 - Deputy Director of Operations Special Recognition Award
- 1992 - Department of the Army - Outstanding Civilian Service Award
- 1984 - Clement’s Award as the U.S. Naval Academy’s Outstanding Military Faculty Member
- 1985 - 2006 - Brigadier General in the Air National Guard and qualified as a command pilot. Has commanded at Flight, Squadron, Group and Joint Force Headquarters.
- 1976 - 1985 - U.S. Air Force officer and pilot. Inglis serves as a Brigadier General in the Air National Guard and is Currently qualified as a command pilot in the C-130J and serving as the commander 135th Airlift Group - the first USAF unit equipped with the C-130J.
- Gorman, Siobhan (2006-05-31). "Second-ranking NSA official forced out of job by director". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "2009 Gathering of Eagles Event Recap". 2009. Retrieved December 4, 2009.
- Maryland Air National Guard - Bio
- Bio at 'Software Technology Conference (2002)' - Agenda
- Official Bio on NSA web site
- List of former Vice/Deputy Directors of the NSA.
William B. Black, Jr.
|Deputy Director of the National Security Agency