|John Chew Hiang Chea|
|Archbishop of the Province of Anglican Church in South East Asia, Primate|
|In office||2006 — 2012|
|Predecessor||Yong Ping Chung|
|Born||4 October 1947
|Previous post||Bishop of Singapore
John Chew (John Chew Hiang Chea; 周贤正; born 4 October 1947) was the third Metropolitan Archbishop and Primate of the Province of Anglican Church in South East Asia as well as Bishop of Singapore. He retired as the 8th Bishop of Singapore on 4 October 2012. He was succeeded by the Rt Revd Rennis Ponniah.
Chew studied in Nanyang University and received his Bachelor of Arts in 1969, honours in 1970 and Masters in 1977. He obtained his Bachelor of Divinity with honours from the University of London in 1977.
Chew also taught at the Trinity Theological College, Singapore from 1982 to 1999 as a lecturer. He was also the principal fromm 1991 till he left the college in 1999. In 2006, he served as the chairman on the Board of Governors.
Chew was consecrated and enthroned as the 8th Bishop of Singapore by the then Archbishop of the South East Asian Province and Bishop of Sabah, Datuk Yong Ping Chung on 25 April 2000 at St Andrew's Cathedral. His consecration service was attended by DPM Dr Tony Tan Keng Yam, dignitaries, bishops from the various dioceses and religious leaders.
On 5 February 2006, Chew was installed as the 3rd Archbishop of the Province of Anglican Church in South East Asia as Archbishop Yong Ping Chung reached retirement age. Representatives of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Jonathan Gledhill, the Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church in Singapore, Monsignor Nicholas Chia, the Bishop of the Methodist Church in Singapore, Dr Robert M Solomon and Dr Ong Chit Chung, Member of Parliament of Jurong GRC were present at the occasion.
On 12 February 2012, Archbishop John Chew handed over his office as the Archbishop of the Province of Anglican Church in Southeast Asia to the Bishop of the Diocese of Kuching, the Most Reverend Datuk Bolly Lapok. The Most Reverend Datuk Bolly Lapok succeeded Chew as the fourth Provincial Archbishop at an Installation Service held in St Thomas’ Cathedral, Kuching.
Bishop John Chew continues to serve in the Diocese of Singapore as her Diocesan Bishop since then. On 9 September, Bishop John Chew launched the special bilingual edition of the English Standard Version- Revised Chinese Union Version Pew Bible to be used during Worship Services in St Andrew's Cathedral to mark her 150th Consecration Anniversary of the Nave.
On 28 September, a Thanksgiving Service was held in St Andrew's Cathedral, Singapore in honour of his faithful service to the Diocese of Singapore for the past 12 years. Bishops from the region, Church leaders in Singapore and many Anglican Church members attended the Service. Bishop John Chew retires as the 8th Bishop of Singapore on 4 October 2012.
Presently serving as
- (Since 2000) President, Fellowship of Evangelical Students, Singapore
- (Since 2000) President, National Council of Churches of Singapore
- (Since 2005) Honorary President, Bible Society of Singapore
- (Since 2003) Honorary Secretary/ Chairman, Anglican Global South Primates' Network
- (2007 - 2011) Chairman, Council of Church of East Asia
- (2007 - 2009) Member, Anglican Covenant Design Group
- (2000 - 2012) Chairman, Board of Governors, Trinity Theological College, Singapore
Archbishop John Chew is married to Christina and they have a son, Ernie Chew.
- Former Bishops of Singapore
- Anglican Diocese of Singapore
- St Andrew's Cathedral
- Province of Anglican Church in South East Asia
- Diocese of Singapore Webportal
- St Andrew's Cathedral, Singapore
- Trinity Theological College, Singapore
- Bible Society of Singapore
- The Courier-Official Magazine of St Andrew's Cathedral (September 2000)
- Diocesan Digest, Diocese of Singapore (April 2006)
- Consecration of Rt Revd Dr John Chew Service Booklet
- Province of South East Asia 10th Anniversary Souvenir Booklet
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Singapore
Datuk Yong Ping Chung
|Archbishop of South East Asia
Datuk Bolly Lapok