Collinge was born in the Hastings suburb of Mahora in 1939. He attended Hastings High school from 1952-1956.In 1956 he was in the 2nd 15 rugby team in the back line.In 1956 he was in the high school 1st eleven . He obtained an LLB from the University of Auckland in 1962, and a masters degree from Oxford University. While at Oxford, he appeared in two first-class cricket matches for the university.
He has lectured law at the University of Leeds and commercial law at the University of Melbourne. He was the president of the National Party from 1989 to 1994. He was then appointed High Commissioner to the United Kingdom from 1994 to 1997. He is a self-declared monarchist. In 1990, he was awarded the New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal.
- "John Collinge". cricinfo. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "Another Waltz with Matilda". University of South Australia. 27 March 2007. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "Player Profile: John Collinge". CricketArchive. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Collinge, John (12 June 2003). "John Collinge: Long may the Queen reign over us". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- Taylor, Alister (1998). The New Zealand Roll of Honour. Alister Taylor. p. 269. ISBN 0-908578-58-X.
|Party political offices|
|President of the National Party
|High Commissioner of New Zealand to the United Kingdom
|This article about a New Zealand National Party politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Zealand biographical article relating to sports is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|