John D. Zeglis
Mr. Zeglis grew up in the farming community of Momence, Illinois. His father, Donald, worked as a lawyer within the town. As a child, Mr. Zeglis enjoyed playing basketball and golf. Mr. Zeglis continued to play both sports in high school and graduated as a valedictorian.
Mr. Zeglis attended the University of Illinois College of Business. Both of Mr. Zeglis's parents attended the University of Illinois and Mr. Zeglis thought the school was a natural fit. He noted, "Illinois was the big leagues, our Super Bowl...I used to go to football games, and I would think, `Wouldn't it be great to be in school here?' Going to the University of Illinois was perfectly natural." As a student, Mr. Zeglis served as the house president of Beta Theta Pi and was a member of Sigma Iota Epsilon. He attained admission to two major honor societies including Beta Gamma Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi. He graduated Bronze Tablet in 1969 with a Bachelor of Science degree in finance.
After attending the University of Illinois, Mr. Zeglis gained admission to Harvard Law School. He served as the senior editor to the Harvard Law Review and graduated magna cum laude with a Juris Doctorate in 1972.
John Zeglis began his career in 1973 at the law firm now known as Sidley Austin, one of the largest law firms based out of Chicago, Illinois. He became a partner five years later. While at Sidley, Mr. Zeglis worked on the AT&T account during the antitrust lawsuit United States v. AT&T — which resulted in the breakup of the AT&T/Bell System. By 1984, AT&T had successfully broken up into the "Baby Bells". Soon after, Mr. Zeglis joined AT&T as a vice-president and general counsel.
Boards and other associations
- Sara Lee Corporation Board of Directors
- Helmerich and Payne Corporation Board of Directors
- Illinova Corporation Board of Directors
- George Washington University Board of Trustees
- Brookings Institution Board of Trustees
- Culver Education Foundation Board of Trustees
- Manchester University Board of Trustees
- UIUC College of Business Advisory Council
- Kellogg School of Management Advisory Board
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Board of Directors