John F. Kennedy High School (New York City)
John F. Kennedy High School was a four-year comprehensive New York City public high school, located at 99 Terrace View Avenue, in the Marble Hill section of Manhattan, on the border with the Bronx (although the school was marked as a Bronx school by the New York City Department of Education). The school served grades 9–12 and was operated by the New York City Department of Education. The school was known in New York for its football and basketball teams. The male sports teams' mascot was the Knight and the female's was the Flame. They won numerous championships in basketball, football, volleyball, gymnastics, and track and field.
Six specialty schools – four established in 2004 and two in 2011 – are co-located on the JFK campus:
- Bronx Engineering and Technology Academy
- Bronx School of Law and Finance
- Bronx Theatre High School
- Marble Hill High School for International Studies
- New Visions Charter High School for Advanced Math and Science
- New Visions Charter High School for the Humanities
The enrollment of John F. Kennedy High School peaked at 4,400 students, and began shrinking in 2004 as the small schools grew. Results from the 2010-11 NYC School Survey were abysmally low. Over half of students who took the survey reported that their peers did not respect teachers or other students; over 70 percent of teachers reported the same; meanwhile the school became increasingly plagued by crime and poor academic results. In 2011, the Department of Education decided to shut John F. Kennedy by eliminating one grade per year until it graduated its last class in 2014. Crucial to the decision to close the school was the DOE’s assertion that the school was under performing, earning an overall D on its 2009-10 progress report, with a F grade for student performance. According to the DOE, four-year graduation rate at Kennedy High School was 46%, as opposed to a 63% average for the city.
- "Bronx Engineering and Technology Academy". New York City Department of Education. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Bronx School of Law and Finance". New York City Department of Education. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Bronx Theatre High School". New York City Department of Education. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Marble Hill High School for International Studies". New York City Department of Education. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "New Visions Charter High School for Advanced Math and Science".
- "New Visions Charter High School for the Humanities".
- Inside Schools, http://insideschools.org/high/browse/school/478
- New York Daily News, http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/john-f-kennedy-high-school-bronx-dozen-schools-dept-ed-targeted-closure-article-1.470028
- "Kennedy High School will close". Bronx Times. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
|This Bronx school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|