John F Sarwark
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (December 2013)|
Dr. John F. Sarwark is Head, Orthopaedic Surgery; Martha Washington Foundation for Handicapped Professors in Pediatric Orthopedics at Lurie Children's Hospital; Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Illinois.
Sarwark earned his Medical Doctorate at Northwestern University Medical School and is a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. He completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Northwestern University Medical School Affiliated Hospitals and completed training as a clinical fellow in pediatric orthopaedics at the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware. He is world leader in scolisis evaluation and management in children.
Awards and accolades
Sarwark is active in numerous leadership activities and committees at Lurie Children's Hospital and NUFSM; including the Executive Committee/Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Residency Selection Committee, past Medical Faculty Senate Council Member and National Alumni Board Member. He is past President, Nathan Smith Davis (Alumni) Club of NUFSM. Dr. Sarwark is past Medical Director for the Motion Analysis Center at Children's Memorial Hospital. In 2004, he received the Pathways Awareness Foundation's first Pioneer Award for his work in the early detection of mobility problems in infants.
He has served two terms as Chairman, Executive Committee/Section of Orthopaedics of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) as well as the SAP (Surgical Advisory Panel) of the AAP. He served two terms on the AAP NCEPG (National Conference and Exhibition and Planning Group); he is a member of the Section on Sports Medicine and Fitness (SOSMF) of the AAP. Dr. Sarwark is an active member of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) on which he has twice served as a member of its Board of Directors and as Ex Officio member. He has served as Chair of POSNA’s Liaison Committee with OKO (Orthopedic Knowledge Online) of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). Dr. Sarwark has chaired and contributes to numerous specialty society meetings and courses. He has for many years served as a faculty member of the AAOS Basic Course for Orthopaedic Educators. He has chaired the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ Committee on Patient Education and has served as a member of its Steering Committee on Collaboration Among Providers Involved with Musculoskeletal Care among others. Dr. Sarwark is active in the Scoliosis Research Society and has served on its Education Committee, chaired the Fellowship C, Co-Chaired the C on Non-operative Management and is a past member of the SRS Worldwide Course C. He is a member of the American Orthopaedic Association, 20th Century Orthopaedic Association, American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine, Society for Research into Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida, and the American Society of Biomechanics, among others. Recognized around the world as being among the finest surgeons and educators in his field, Dr. Sarwark travels widely on numerous medical exchanges annually. Dr. Sarwark has also mentored countless fellows, residents, and students in the various facets of medical education and beyond.
- Sarwark, John; LaBella, Cynthia, eds. (2010). Pediatric Othopedics and Sports Injuries. Elk Grove Village, Illinois: American Academy of Pediatrics. ISBN 978-1-58110-284-0.
- Sarwark, John F.; Lubicky, John P., eds. (2001). Caring for the child with spina bifida. Chicago: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. ISBN 978-0-89203-237-2.
- Price, Susan; Pfeffer, Glenn B.; Jimenez, Ramon L.; Jimenez, Ramon; Sarwark, John F., eds. (2003). The 2003 Body Almanac: Your Personal Guide to Bone and Joint Health at Any Age. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. ISBN 978-0-89203-281-5.
- Sarwark, John F.; Shore, Richard M. (2004). "Pediatric Orthopaedics". In Johnson, Thomas R.; Steinbach, Lynne S. Essentials of Musculoskeletal Imaging. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. pp. 749–894. ISBN 978-0-89203-324-9.
- Journal articles
- Edwards SL, Sarwark JF (May 2005). "Infant and child motor development". Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (434): 33–9. doi:10.1097/00003086-200505000-00006. PMID 15864029.
- Gardner, H. Garry; Sarwark, John F. (October 2008). "Tummy time key to prevent delays". Pediatric News.
- Majdouline Y, Aubin CE, Robitaille M, Sarwark JF, Labelle H (2007). "Scoliosis correction objectives in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis". Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics 27 (7): 775–81. doi:10.1097/BPO.0b013e31815588d8. PMID 17878784.
- Minihane KP, Grayhack JJ, Simmons TD, Seshadri R, Wysocki RW, Sarwark JF (September 2008). "Developmental dysplasia of the hip in infants with congenital muscular torticollis". American Journal of Orthopedics (Belle Mead, N.J.) 37 (9): E155–8; discussion E158. PMID 18982188.
- Moen TC, Sarwark JF (August 2008). "Compartment syndrome following intraosseous infusion". Orthopedics 31 (8): 815. doi:10.3928/01477447-20080801-17. PMID 19292404.
- Sieradzki JP, Sarwark JF (2008). "Thoracolumbar fracture-dislocation in child abuse: case report, closed reduction technique and review of the literature". Pediatric Neurosurgery 44 (3): 253–7. doi:10.1159/000121475. PMID 18367846.
- Husain SN, King EC, Young JL, Sarwark JF (2008). "Remodeling of birth fractures of the humeral diaphysis". Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics 28 (1): 10–3. doi:10.1097/BPO.0b013e3181558c67. PMID 18157039.
- Other publishing roles
- Review Board for Musculoskeletal Medicine (AAOS/AAFP/AAP joint publishers)
- Reviewer for:
- Editor for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons' online journal Orthopaedic Knowledge Online.
- "John F. Sarwark, MD". Feinberg School of Medicine. March 19, 2010.[self-published source?]
- "2004 Recipient - Dr. John F. Sarwark, MD". Pathways Awareness.
- "Editorial Board". American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. February 26, 2010.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Web site
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Web site
- Orthopedic Knowledge Online
- Dr. Sarwark bio on Children's Memorial Hospital Web site