John Samuel Feinberg is an American theologian, author, and professor of biblical and systematic theology. He is currently serving as chair of the Department of Biblical and Systematic Theology at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. He is noted[by whom?] for his expertise in theodicy.
Background and education
Feinberg was born in 1946 to Charles Lee and Anne Priscilla (Fraiman) Feinberg. His family moved from Dallas, Texas to Los Angeles, California in 1948 when his father became the first dean of Talbot Theological Seminary. Feinberg earned his B.A. in English from the University of California at Los Angeles, his Th.M. (1972) in systematic theology from Trinity, and his M.A. (1971) and Ph.D. (1979) from the University of Chicago.
Feinberg lives in Vernon Hills, Illinois with his wife Patricia, with whom he has three children. His brother Paul David (1938 - 2004) also taught Systematic Theology and Philosophy of Religion at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School for thirty years.
In his early career, Feinberg served as a missionary in Los Angeles on staff for the American Board of Missions to the Jews. He began his teaching career in 1969 at the Los Angeles Bible Training School in Compton, California. Feinberg was ordained to ministry in 1971 and served as pastor of the Elmwood Park Bible Church in Elmwood Park, Illinois from 1974 to 1976. He resumed teaching in 1976 at Western Conservative Baptist Seminary in Portland, Oregon, before moving in 1981 to teach at Liberty Baptist Seminary and College in Lynchburg, Virginia. In 1983, he joined the faculty of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
During the mid-1980s, Feinberg served on the national membership committee of the Evangelical Theological Society, and in 1985 served a term as president of the Evangelical Philosophical Society. Since then, he has authored several books and serves as a theological consultant for the academic division of Crossway Books.
- Predestination & Free Will: Four Views of Divine Sovereignty & Human Freedom, contributor (1986) ISBN 0877845670
- Continuity and Discontinuity: Perspectives on the Relationship Between the Old and New Testaments: Essays in Honor of S. Lewis Johnson, Jr., editor & contributor (1988) ISBN 0891074686
- Ethics for a Brave New World, with Paul D. Feinberg (1993) ISBN 158134712X
- The Many Faces of Evil: Theological Systems and the Problem of Evil (1994) ISBN 1433517272
- Deceived By God?: A Journey Through Suffering (1997) ISBN 089107886X
- Where Is God: A Personal Story of Finding God in Grief and Suffering (2004) ISBN 0805430415
- No One Like Him: The Doctrine of God(2006) ISBN 1433519569
- Foundations of Evangelical Theology (series, general editor)
- Childs, Brian H. (1995). "Book review: Ethics for a brave new world". Journal of Medical Humanities 16 (1): 73–74. doi:10.1007/BF02276822.
- The Journal of Theological Studies 56 (2): 816–819. October 2005. doi:10.1093/jts/fli243.
- Pettegrew, Larry (Fall 1997). "Book review: Deceived by God?". Master's Seminary Journal 8 (2): 234–235.
- Morrison, John D. (December 2003). "Review article: John Feinberg's No One Like Him". Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 46 (4): 699–709.