|Residence||San Francisco Bay Area|
|Alma mater||Vassar College, Harvard Divinity School|
|Occupation||Humanist Chaplain at Stanford University|
John Figdor is the current Humanist Chaplain at Stanford University where he organizes events and programs for both students and community members of the San Francisco Bay Area. He is the first Humanist Chaplain on the West Coast serving a university community. As a Humanist officiant he also oversees non-theistic weddings, funerals, and baby-naming ceremonies.
Humanism at Stanford University
The Humanist Community at Stanford includes Humanists, Atheists, and Agnostics, who believe in values such as reason, science, pluralism, compassion, empathy, and altruism. The organization holds a variety of different events, from dinners, to public lectures, to art gallery tours, to pub nights, to discussions and debates, and game nights. Previous notable speakers have included Richard Dawkins.
The Stanford Humanist Community played an essential role in the creation of Darwin Day. The first celebration of the event took place on April 22, 1995, and included a lecture given by famed anthropologist Dr. Donald Johanson to over 600 attendees.
John Figdor received his B.A. with honors in Philosophy from Vassar College and holds a master’s degree (MDiv) in Humanism and Interfaith Dialogue from Harvard Divinity School. John was an Organizing Fellow of the Humanist Chaplaincy at Harvard University and former Assistant Humanist Chaplain at Harvard, working with Greg Epstein. John is a former Board Member of the Secular Student Alliance. John and his work have been discussed in the San Francisco Chronicle, the Huffington Post and the Washington Post. In 2014, John coauthored the book Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart: Rewriting the Ten Commandments for the Twenty-First Century (Rowman & Littlefield, 2014)
- Jones, Alan (28 December 2012). "John Figdor Appointed as Atheist Chaplain at Stanford". Huffington Post. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Chaplain John Figdor develops humanist community on campus". Stanford Daily. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Stanford’s New Humanist Chaplain: John Figdor". The Stanford Review. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Secular Student Alliance John Figdor". Secular Student Alliance. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Stanford Humanist Community Facebook Page". Stanford Humanist Community. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Stanford Humanist Community". Stanford Humanist Community. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Richard Dawkins @ Stanford Humanist Community 2012 10 11". YouTube. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "About the International Darwin Day Foundation (IDDF)". International Darwin Day Foundation. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Asimov, Nanette (22 December 2012). "Stanford gets a chaplain for atheists". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "The Atheist Chaplain". Huffington Post Live. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Shulman, Robin (21 December 2008). "Humanist Parents Seek Communion Outside Church". Washington Post. Retrieved 13 June 2013.