John G. McNutt
||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (August 2010)|
John G. McNutt is a professor of Public Policy and Administration at the University of Delaware. He is a leading researcher on the use of information and communication technologies in the nonprofit sector. Much of his current work focuses on electronic advocacy, especially the application of Web 2.0 technologies to social action and public policy making. McNutt has conducted research on child advocacy groups, professional associations, environmental advocacy organizations, political action committees, transnational advocacy organizations and community development corporations.
McNutt's work centers on three issues (1) the diffusion and adoption of advocacy technology by nonprofit advocacy organizations, (2) the process by which technology becomes advocacy tools and (3) macro determinants of advocacy technology adoption. He also looks at general nonprofit technology issues.
His books include:
- Meenaghan, T., Gibbons, W.G. & McNutt, J.G. (2005). Generalist practice in larger settings. [Second Edition]. Chicago: Lyceum Books.
- Meenaghan, T., Kilty, K.M & McNutt, J.G. (2004). Social policy analysis and practice. Chicago: Lyceum Books.
- Hick, S. & McNutt, J.G. (eds.) (2002). Advocacy and Activism on the Internet: Perspectives from Community Organization and Social Policy. Chicago: Lyceum Books. Forward by Noam Chomsky.
- Hoff, M. & McNutt, J.G. (eds.) (1994). The Global Environmental Crisis: Implications for Social Welfare and Social Work. Aldershot: Avebury. Forward by Mark Lusk.
Recent journal publications include:
- McNutt, J.G. & Menon, G.M. (2008). Cyberactivism and Progressive Human Services. Families and Society. 89 (1), 33-38.
- McNutt, J.G. & Boland, K.M.* (2007).Astroturf, technology and the Future of Community Mobilization: Implications for Nonprofit Theory, Journal of sociology and social welfare, 34 (3), 165-179.
- McNutt, J.G. (2006). Building Evidence Based Advocacy in Cyberspace: A Social Work Imperative for the New Millennium. Journal of evidence based practice 3 (2/3) 91-102
- Quiero-Tajalli, I., McNutt, J.G. & Campbell, C. (2003). International social and economic justice, social work and on-line advocacy. International Social Work. 46 (2), 149-161
- McNutt, J.G. Queiro-Tajalli, I, Boland, K.M. & Campbell, C. (2001). Information Poverty and the Latino Community: Implications for Social Work Practice and Social Work Education. Journal of Ethnic and cultural diversity in social work 10 (4), 1-20.
- McNutt, J.G. (2000). Organizing Cyberspace: Strategies for Teaching About Community Practice and Technology. The Journal of community practice, 7 (1), 95-109.