John G. Mulroe
|John G. Mulroe|
|Member of the Illinois Senate
from the 10th district
|Preceded by||James DeLeo|
|Born||July 21, 1959
|Alma mater||Loyola University|
John G. Mulroe is a Democratic state senator and lawyer from Chicago, Illinois, he represents the 10th Illinois State Senate District. He was appointed to complete the term of Democrat James DeLeo in August 2010 and elected to a full term in the Illinois State Senate in November 2010. He is the president of the 41st Ward Democratic Organization in Chicago and ran unsuccessfully for a judgeship in 2008.
2008 Judicial election
John G. Mulroe is the president of the 41st Ward Democratic Organization and ran unsuccessfully in the 2008 Democratic primary for a judicial seat in Subcircuit No. 10 of the Cook County Circuit Court. In that election Mulroe finished second to Diana L. Kenworthy. Out of more than 42,000 ballots cast for the seat on the 10th Subcircuit, Mulroe received 16,513 votes (38.42%) to Kenworthy's 17,914 (41.68%). A third candidate, Rosaire Marie Hall, garnered 19.91% with 8556 votes. Kenworthy went on to win the general election.
2010 State senate election
Mulroe was the 2010 Democratic candidate for the Illinois State Senate in the 10th State Senate District, a seat formerly held by retired Democrat James DeLeo, a 25 year veteran of the state legislature. He won the Democratic primary on February 2, 2010 against three other Democratic candidates, collecting a total of 10,036 votes. Those votes amounted to 42.5% of total votes cast. The other candidates collected 57.5% of the total; Tom Ryan had 24.5%, Mary Sendra Anselmo had 22.3% and Wanda Majcher finished with 10.7%. DeLeo chose to leave office in August 2010 and Democratic candidate John G. Mulroe was appointed to complete the remainder of his term. Mulroe ran for a full term in November 2010 general election.
Prior to his appointment to office, Mulroe's primary victory set up a general election contest with Chicago's only Republican alderman, Brian Doherty. During the primary election Mulroe received the endorsement of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board over the three other Democratic candidates. He also received numerous other endorsements from newspapers, unions and elected officials. Mulroe's campaign committee, Friends for Mulroe, was chaired by Patrick E. Mahoney and Jeanne Anderson served as treasurer.
Mulroe won election to a full term in the Illinois State Senate on November 2, 2010. His opponent, Doherty, conceded the election shortly after 9 p.m. on election night. As of November 5, 2010 Mulroe had collected 29,357 votes, 55.4% of the total, topping Doherty's 23,611 votes, 44.6% of the total votes cast.
|2008 Democratic primary results - Judge, 10th Cook County Subcircuit|
|Democratic||Diana L. Kenworthy||17,914||41.68%|
|Democratic||John G. Mulroe||16,513||38.42%|
|Democratic||Rosaire Marie Hall||8,556||19.91%|
|2010 Democratic primary results - State senator, 10th district|
|Democratic||John G. Mulroe||9,453||43.28%|
|Democratic||Thomas M. Ryan||5,290||24.22%|
|Democratic||Mary Sendra Anselmo||4,820||22.07%|
|2010 General election results - State senator, 10th district|
|Democratic||John G. Mulroe||29,357||55.4%|
|Republican||Brian G. Doherty||23,611||44.6%|
Mulroe is a 1977 graduate of St. Patrick High School in Chicago. He has been married to his wife Margaret for more than two decades and they have four children together. He graduated from Loyola University with a BBA in accounting and attended Loyola University Law School where he earned his Juris Doctor. In his professional life Mulroe spent six years as an assistant state's attorney and more than a decade in private practice.
- Mulroe staff. "Senator John Mulroe Bio", Illinois Senate Democrats, August 16, 2010, accessed November 7, 2010.
- Bertuca, Tony. "Mulroe advances in bid to replace DeLeo", Niles Herald-Spectator, February 2, 2010, accessed June 23, 2010.
- Schmidt, Alan. "Four Dems vie for DeLeo seat in 10th State Senate District", Edison-Norwood Times Review, December 24, 2009, accessed June 23, 2010.
- "February 2008 Democratic Party Primary -- Judge, 10th Subcircuit (Vacancy of Morrissey)", Board of Election Commissioners for the City of Chicago, accessed June 24, 2010.
- "Illinois Circuit Court Judges by Circuit", Illinois Courts, accessed June 24, 2010.
- "Illinois legislative races set up fall showdown", Associated Press, via KMOV.com (St. Louis), February 3, 2010, accessed June 23, 2010.
- Chicago Tribune Editorial Board, "For the Illinois Senate", (editorial), Chicago Tribune, January 20, 2010, accessed June 23, 2010.
- Stewart, Russ. "No Love Lost Among State Senate Rivals", Chicago Daily Observer, March 11, 2010, accessed June 23, 2010.
- "John Mulroe: Newest Member of the Illinois State Senate", (Press release), Illinois Senate Democrats, August 16, 2010.
- "Friends for Mulroe", Illinois State Board of Elections, accessed June 24, 2010.
- Butler, Patrick. "Mulroe wins 10th state senate seat", Edison-Norwood Times Review, November 2, 2010, accessed November 7, 2010.
- "Live election results", Chicago Tribune, updated November 5, 2010, accessed November 7, 2010.
- "Keeping Up With the Shamrocks" (PDF), St. Patrick Today, Winter 2008, accessed June 23, 2010.
- "Editorial board endorsements - John G. Mulroe - Responses to our questionnaire", Chicago Tribune, March 14, 2010, accessed June 24, 2010.
- Biography, bills and committees at the 98th Illinois General Assembly
- Senator John G. Mulroe legislative website
- Senator John Mulroe at Illinois Senate Democrats
- John G. Mulroe for Senate campaign website
- Biography at Ballotpedia
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (state office) at the National Institute for Money in State Politics
- John G. Mulroe on Facebook
- John G. Mulroe on Twitter