John Gast (baseball)
|St. Louis Cardinals|
February 16, 1989 |
Altamonte Springs, Florida
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|May 14, 2013 for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||5.11|
John Walter Gast (born February 16, 1989) is an American professional baseball player. A left-handed pitcher, he plays in the St. Louis Cardinals organization. Gast made his Major League debut on May 14, 2013 against the New York Mets.
High school and college career
Gast attended Lake Brantley High School in Altamonte Springs, Florida where he was a pitching standout. As a senior in 2007 he earned Seminole County "Player of the Year" honors after he struck out 85 batters in 57.2 innings with an ERA of 1.18. He also played on the U.S. Junior National Team. Gast was drafted in the 5th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft by the Texas Rangers, but chose to attend Florida State University instead and play college baseball for the Seminoles. Gast suffered an elbow injury during the spring of his senior year in high school, which required Tommy John surgery on May 1, 2007 and forced him to be inactive during most of his first year with the Florida State team. In 2009 Gast played for the Harwich Mariners of the Cape Cod League.
That first summer of 2010 in the Cardinals organization he played for the Batavia Muckdogs of the New York-Penn League, finishing the season with a 1.54 ERA and a perfect 6-0 win/loss record. In 2011, Gast split time between the Palm Beach Cardinals and the Double-AA affiliate Springfield Cardinals, posting a combined record of nine wins and eight losses. He started the 2012 season with the Springfield Cardinals again but in mid-May was moved up to Triple-A baseball with the Memphis Redbirds, finishing the year with a 13-7 record.
Gast began the 2013 season with the Memphis Redbirds, where he pitched thirty-two consecutive scoreless innings. He was named Pacific Coast League pitcher of the week for the week ending April 21. Gast was called up on May 12, 2013, after Jake Westbrook was put on the 15-day disabled list. He made his major league debut on May 14, 2013 at Busch Stadium against the New York Mets. Gast threw five shutout innings but gave up four runs in the sixth inning. He gave up six hits total, walked one, and struck out three to earn his first victory as a Cardinal. Gast won in his second start with the Cardinals as well, giving up two runs on four hits and two walks over 5 innings as St. Louis beat the Milwaukee Brewers 4-2. He was placed on the disabled list on May 26, after suffering a shoulder strain.  On July 26, 2013 Gast underwent season-ending surgery on his left shoulder. According to the Cardinals John Mozeliak that the expected recovery and rehabilitation time is between eight and twelve months. It is the second major surgery for Gast, his first being Tommy John surgery while he was a high school senior.
Gast was outrighted off the Cardinals roster on November 20, 2013.
John Gast is the son of David and Sharon Gast, and has been an avid baseball fan since age six.  His family was present at Busch Stadium when he made his major league debut for the Cardinals. While at Florida State Gast majored in Marketing. He excelled academically as well as athletically, being named to the ACC Honor Roll and earning Deans List honors.
- "John Gast to make MLB debut". KTVI-TV website. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "John Gast bio". Florida State University Sports Information Department. 2009. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "John Gast profile". Baseball Reference.com. 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "Florida State pitcher John Gast from Lake Brantley High has enjoyed his first season of college baseball despite his Tommy John surgery. - Orlando Sentinel". Articles.orlandosentinel.com. 2008-05-30. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- Goold, Derrick (2011-03-15). "Garcia gets pickoff pointers from newbie Gast : Sports". Stltoday.com. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "Carlos Beltran drives in four to lift Cards, rookie John Gast past Mets". ESPN website. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Parker, John. "Pitchers of the Week | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "Redbirds' John Gast named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "Westbrook placed on 15-day DL with elbow injury: Cardinals call up Gast to start Tuesday against Mets". MLB.com. May 12, 2013.
- Bieman, Scott (1 May 2013). "Gast gives Cards enough to win again". KMOV-TV website. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Gast placed on DL with left shoulder strain". MLB.com. May 26, 2013.
- "Cardinals LHP Gast undergoes surgery". MLB.com via Cardinals official website. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Frederickson, Ben (15 May 2013). "Gast stays cool under pressure in major league debut". Fox Sports Midwest website. Retrieved 15 May 2013.