John Gilbert (painter)
Sir John Gilbert (21 July 1817 – 5 October 1897) was an English artist, illustrator and engraver.
He was born in Blackheath, Surrey, and taught himself to paint. His only formal instruction was from George Lance. Skilled in several media, Gilbert gained the nickname, "the Scott of painting". He was best known for the illustrations and woodcuts he produced for the Illustrated London News.
Gilbert was initially apprenticed to a firm of estate agents, but taught himself art by copying prints. He was unable to enter the Royal Academy Schools, but mastered watercolour, oils, and other media. From 1836 he exhibited at the Society of British Artists, and at the RA from 1838. The art patron Thomas Sheepshanks and the artist William Mulready suggested that he learn wood engraving. Starting with Punch, he moved on to the Illustrated London News. He produced an impressive number of wood engravings for that publication and for The London Journal. He also produced very many illustrations for books, including nearly all the important English poets (including his illustrated Shakespeare with almost 750 drawings). He became president of the Old Watercolour Society in 1871. He exhibited some 400 pictures in watercolour and oil exhibited at the various societies. In 1872 he was knighted. He became an RA in 1876, in the same year as Edward Poynter.
Gilbert is buried at Brockley and Ladywell Cemeteries.
- Union List of Artist Names, retrieved 2008-07-13
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Gilbert, Sir John". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Engraving after 'Men of Science Living in 1807-8', John Gilbert engraved by George Zobel and William Walker, ref. NPG 1075a, National Portrait Gallery, London, accessed February 2010
- Smith, HM (May 1941). "Eminent men of science living in 1807-8". J. Chem. Educ 18 (5): 203. doi:10.1021/ed018p203.
- Shakespeare Illustrated: The Artists: Sir John Gilbert, retrieved 2008-07-13
- Art School Exhibitions
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: John Gilbert|
- Phryne's list of paintings by Gilbert in accessible UK collections
- Gilbert biography with full text of obituary
2011: Sir John Gilbert: Art and Imagination in the Victorian Age by Spike Bucklow and Sally Woodcock with contributions by Mark Bills, Nicola Bown, Spike Bucklow, Kathleen Froyen, Paul Goldman, Vivien Knight, Caroline Oliver, Neil Rhind, Libby Sheldon, Timothy Wilcox and Sally Woodcock (Lund Humphries) 978-1-84822-079-9