John J. Gleason
John J. Gleason
|Clerk/Register of Deeds of Genesee County|
January 2, 2013
|Preceded by||Michael J. Carr (as clerk)
Rose Bogardus (as register of deeds)
|Member of the Michigan Senate
from the 27th district
January 1, 2007 – January 2, 2013
|Preceded by||Robert L. Emerson|
|Succeeded by||Jim Ananich|
|Member of the Michigan House of Representatives
from the 48th district
January 1, 2003 – December 31, 2006
|Preceded by||Vera B. Rison|
|Succeeded by||Richard E. Hammel|
|Member of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners|
August 26, 1954 |
Gleason was elected to the Genesee County Board of Commissioners in 1994. He moved on to be elected to the state House of Representatives 48 District in 2002 continuing as Representative until he was elected to Michigan Senate in 2006. He was reelected State Senator in 2010 to his final available term under state term limits. Considering a run for the soon to be vacated U.S. Representative office by Dale Kildee, Gleason instead filed to run for the newly combined office of Genesee County Clerk/Register of Deeds. Both current officeholders, Clerk Michael J. Carr and(Register of Deeds Rose Bogardus, of the soon to be merged positions filed to run for new office. Bogardus withdrew assuming Carr would continue his campaign while Carr also withdrew to retire leaving Gleason the sole Democratic candidate for Clerk/Register. Gleason defeat Republican Michael Stikovich in the Clerk/Register general election 119,838 to 52,996.
- Michigan Manual 2005-2006. Lansing, MI: Legislative Council, State of Michigan. 2006. p. 198. ISBN 1-878210-06-8. Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- Fonger, Ron (May 14, 2012). "State Sen. John Gleason files to take on incumbent Genesee County Clerk Michael J. Carr". Flint Journal. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Thorne, Blake (May 18, 2012). "Genesee County Register of Deeds Rose Bogardus said she didn't expect Clerk Michael Carr to withdraw, would have stayed in the race". Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- Thorne, Blake (May 18, 2012). "After 27 years as county clerk, Michael Carr says he will retire, not running in August primary". The Flint Journal. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- Averill, Andrew (November 7, 2012). "Genesee County election 2012 results so far". Flint Journal. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
(Clerk: Michael J. Carr
ROD: Rose Bogardus)
|Clerk/Register of Deeds of Genesee County, Michigan