John Glines (born October 11, 1933 in Santa Maria, California) is an American playwright and producer.
Playwright and producer
Glines graduated from Yale in 1955 with a BA in drama. As a writer in children’s television, he worked for seven years on Captain Kangaroo and for four years on Sesame Street. His play In The Desert Of My Soul was anthologized in Best Short Plays Of 1976. His musical Gulp!, written with Stephen Greco and Robin Jones, had a lengthy off-off-Broadway run in 1977.
His plays written for, and originally produced by The Glines, the non-profit organization for gay arts which he co-founded in 1976 with Barry Laine and Jerry Tobin, include On Tina Tuna Walk , In Her Own Words (A Biography of Jane Chambers), Men Of Manhattan (also made into a film directed by Anthony Marsellis), Chicken Delight , Body And Soul Murder In Disguise, Key West, and Heavenly Days. His last play, Butterflies And Tigers, based on stories of the Chinese people during the Cultural Revolution, had an extended run in New York City in 1998.
Glines won a Tony Award and a Drama Desk Award in 1983 as producer of Torch Song Trilogy. In his acceptance speech for the Tony, he was the first person ever to acknowledge his same-sex lover on a major awards show . He won the Drama Desk Award and a Tony nomination in 1985 as producer of As Is, and won the Drama Desk Award in 1994 for Whoop-Dee-Doo!
Concurrently with his theatre work, Glines was a founding trustee of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, which grew out of Stamp Out AIDS, the non-profit organization he founded in 1985 as a result of his work on As Is.
Glines has been honored by numerous organizations, including the Empire State Pride Agenda (Artistic Vision Award), Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) (Oscar Wilde Award), the Allied Gay and Lesbian Association of Los Angeles, and Off-Off-Broadway Review (Lifetime Achievement Award).
- The Pink and the Blue Lesbian and Gay Studies at Yale
- 1965 through 1971
- Shows #1316-1445, 1979-80
- John Glines In the Desert of My Soul Dramatists Play Service
- Bruce Mason Hurry, dinner theatre is being served Gabriola Sounder, British Columbia Community Newspaper website, October 23, 2006
- Review from GPU News (Milwaukee), September 1977
- On Tina Tuna Walk Aran Press, 1993
- Stephen Holden Review/Theater; Comedy of Self-Acceptance And a Portrait of Its Writer The New York Times, August 17, 1989.
- Theater Fowl Play New York Blade, December 10, 2004
- Martin Denton Chicken Delight nytheatre.com website
- Bruckner, D.J.R. (July 10, 1991), Review/Theater Bygone Love's Shocks and Sorrows The New York Times. Retrieved, March 4, 2007.
- Marshall Yaeger Lamentations. Butterflies and Tigers oobr, March 12, 1998.
- Lipfert, David, A CurtainUp Review:Butterflies and Tigers, Curtainup.com. Retrieved February 28, 2007.
- David Mermelstein GLAAD leads, Oscar and Tonys follow Award Central (Variety.com) website
- Ron Stokes From Hair to Hairspray, A Broadway Timeline New York Magazine, web exclusive.
- Out in the Mountains National Fundraising Initiated for People with AIDS February 1987
- Jeremy Gerard CREATIVE ARTS BEING RESHAPED BY THE EPIDEMIC The New York Times, June 9, 1987.
- FROM LYCEUM’S STAGE, A DISCUSSION ON AIDS The New York Times, October 13, 1985.
- John Glines at the Internet Broadway Database
- John Glines papers, 1971-1998, held by the Billy Rose Theatre Division, New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
- THEATER: 'CARLA'S SONG,' A DRAMA ABOUT CHILD ABUSE Stephen Holden, The New York Times, July 30, 1984.
- Review/Theater; Arrivederci Papa, Farce In Drag Stephen Holden, The New York Times, June 29, 1989.
- The Demonstration (a scene from Men of Manhattan) Actors Theatre of Louisville, 1991
- Glines Hopes NY Audiences Will Start Chasing His Butterflies David Lefkowitz, Playbill On-Line, 12 June 1998.
- Adjunct Theatre League Ex-Voters Retain Legal Counsel Playbill On-Line, 26 October 1999.
- Old Plays Are Gold Francine L. Trevens, On the Purple Circuit, June 17, 2003.
- Memorial Foundation for the Arts, Honorary Board Members
- Reviews Written by John Glines Amazon.com
- John Glines Award presented
- Personal photo galleries