John Graham (politician)
Graham was born in Nelson in 1843, the eldest son of one of the earliest settlers of the region.
Member of Parliament
|Parliament of New Zealand|
The 1893 general election was contested by four candidates in Nelson: Graham (1289 votes), Richmond Hursthouse (1011 votes), John Kerr (910 votes) and William Lock (74 votes). The 1896 general election was contested by Graham and Jesse Piper, who received 2061 and 1718 votes, respectively. Graham was thus elected with a majority of 343 votes.
In 1894, Graham successfully opposed the Midland Railway Bill insofar as it proposed to abandon the obligations of the company to provide a railway to Nelson.
Graham was for some years chairman of the Town Schools' Committee. He was the first chairman of the Nelson Harbour Board and held that position for twelve years. He served on the Nelson Education Board, the Board of Governors of Nelson College (1894) and Council of Victoria College in Wellington (1899–1912). He was also a member of the Nelson City Council.
- "Obituary". The Evening Post CXI (34). 9 February 1926. p. 9. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Wood, G. Antony (ed.) (1996), Ministers and Members in the New Zealand Parliament, Dunedin, [N.Z.]: University of Otago Press, p. 200
- "Nelson City". Nelson Evening Mail. XXVII (281). 29 November 1893. p. 2. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "The Nelson Election". Nelson Evening Mail XXX (292). 10 December 1896. p. 2. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Scholefield, Guy H. (ed.) (1940), A dictionary of New Zealand biography (2 vol.), Wellington, [N.Z.]: Dept. of Internal Affairs I:316.
- The Cyclopedia of New Zealand: industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations (6 vol.), Wellington, [N.Z.]: Cyclopedia Co., 1897–1908 Vol. 5 (1906) p. 31.
- "Harbour Board Meeting". The Evening Post CXI (37). 12 February 1926. p. 11. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- The Cyclopedia of New Zealand: industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations (6 vol.), Wellington, [N.Z.]: Cyclopedia Co., 1897–1908 Vol. 5 (1906) p. 30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Graham (politician).|
- Wilson, James Oakley (1985) [First published in 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1984 (4th ed.). Wellington: V.R. Ward, Govt. Printer. OCLC 154283103.
|New Zealand Parliament|
|Member of Parliament for Nelson