||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (June 2012)|
Gruber at South by Southwest 2009
|Subjects||Design, Technology, Apple Inc.|
John Gruber (born 1973) is a writer from the greater Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area of the United States. Gruber received his Bachelor of Science in computer science from Drexel University. He worked for Bare Bones Software from 2000 to 2002 and Joyent from 2005 to 2006. His main project is Daring Fireball, a technology blog that has become his full-time job. His side projects include Markdown, a lightweight markup language, and a podcast called The Talk Show that he hosts on the Mule Radio Syndicate network. He previously co-hosted The Talk Show with Dan Benjamin on the 5by5 Radio Network.
Speaking engagements 
John Gruber has increasingly appeared as a conference speaker, starting in the US but going worldwide in recent years. His presentations focus on a subset of topics that he covers on Daring Fireball, mainly the intersection of Apple Inc., movies and the creative process.
- Oct 2006 – C4, Chicago: "the HIG is dead"
- Mar 2007 – SXSW, Austin: "Design Aesthetic of the Indie Developer"
- Mar 2008 – SXSW, Austin: "Blood, Sweat, and Fear: Great Design Hurts"
- Jan 2009 – Macworld Expo, San Francisco: "The Auteur theory of design"
- Mar 2009 – SXSW, Austin: "149 Surprising Ways to Turbocharge Your Blog With Credibility!"
- Feb 2010 – Macworld Expo, San Francisco: "Apple’s Top 10 Issues"
- Mar 2010 – SXSW, Austin: "Online Advertising: Losing the Race to the Bottom"
- Sep 2010 – dConstruct, Brighton (United Kingdom): "The Auteur theory of design"
- Jan 2011 – Macworld Expo, San Francisco: "Gruber, Engst, Moren on the future of the Mac"
- Feb 2011 – webstock, Wellington (New Zealand): "The Gap Theory of UI Design"
- Mar 2011 – SXSW, Austin: "15 Slides, Three Writers, Three Ways — One Hour"
- Oct 2011 – Çingleton, Montréal: "Keynote"
- Sep 2012 – Guest on Charlie Rose
- Jan 2013 – Macworld/iWorld, San Francisco: "iCloud, App Stores, and other Things To Fear: Has Apple Forgotten Power Users?"
- Feb 2013 – webstock, Wellington (New Zealand): "In praise of Pac-Man: lessons all designers can learn from the perfect video game"
- "John Gruber: A Mix of the Technical, the Artful, the Thoughtful, and the Absurd". ShawnBlanc.net. 2008-02-19. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "The blogosphere: Are blogs worth the hype?". CNET News. 2004-08-10. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "News.com's Blog 100". CNET News. 2005-10-07. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "Laptop nation". Macworld. 2007-03-05. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- Mark Webster (16 February 2011). "Webstock: An interview with the Daring Fireball". The New Zealand Herald.
- The Seasons of Daring Fireball, retrieved 2012-08-21
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|