John Hammond (weather forecaster)
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2013)|
|Born||1966 (age 47–48)
Bosham, West Sussex, England, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham
University of Salford
John Hammond (born 1966) is an English weather forecaster for the BBC. He can be seen presenting weather forecasts on the BBC News channel, BBC Red Button, BBC World News. He is the main weather presenter on the BBC News at One programme.
Early life and education
Hammond was born in Bosham, West Sussex, the son of a farmer. After taking an interest in the weather from aged 4, he studied Geography at the University of Salford, followed by meteorology at the University of Birmingham.
After a brief spell at the Met Office headquarters in Bracknell, Berkshire, Hammond started forecasting in February 1991, working at regional weather centres in Nottingham, Bristol and Plymouth. This involved a variety of forecasting work for aviation, local industry, and some local radio too.
- List of BBC newsreaders and reporters
- List of meteorologists
- List of University of Birmingham people
- Staff (17 December 2009). "John Hammond". BBC Weather. Retrieved 15 January 2013. "John was born in Bosham, West Sussex in 1966."
- Staff (17 December 2009). "John Hammond". BBC Weather. Retrieved 15 January 2013. "John studied for a Geography degree at Salford University, followed by a Masters in Meteorology at Birmingham University."
- "BBC – Weather – John Hammond". 17 December 2009. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- Celebrity Mastermind. Episode 8. BBC One.