|Secretary of Environmental Protection of Pennsylvania|
September 2008 – January 2011
|Preceded by||Kathleen McGinty|
|Succeeded by||Michael Krancer|
|Born||1957 (age 56–57)
|Alma mater||Duke University
University of Pennsylvania
John Hanger is a former Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, a position he held between September 2008 and January 2011 under former Governor Edward G. Rendell. He is also a former Commissioner of the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. Hanger is currently Special Counsel for Eckert Seamans, an American law firm and lobbying organization headquartered in Pittsburgh. He was a candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania in 2014, before withdrawing from the primary.
Hanger's experience consists of environmental, energy, gas drilling and green economy issues. He is one of two Pennsylvanians who have served both as a Secretary of the Department of Environmental Protection and as Commissioner of the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission.
Hanger contributed to writing and passing legislation such as Pennsylvania's 1996 Electricity Generation Competition and Customer Choice Act, the 2004 Alternative Energy Portfolio Standards Act, the 2005 Growing Greener 2 legislation, the 2007 Net Metering statute, the 2008 Act 129 initiating major electricity conservation programs, the 2008 Act 70 requiring DEP to write a climate change action plan, the 2008 Alternative Fuels Act, the 2010 Recycling Fee extension, and others.
Hanger was the founding President of Citizens for Pennsylvania's Future or PennFuture from 1998 to 2008, a public interest organization with the objective of improving the environment and economy.
2014 gubernatorial election
After saying that he was "seriously looking" at a possible campaign for Governor of Pennsylvania to seek the Democratic nomination to challenge Republican incumbent Tom Corbett in 2014, he officially announced his candidacy for the office in November 2012. However, he ended his campaign in March 2014, citing unfavorable polling and the surge of fellow candidate Tom Wolf.
His campaign supported the immediate legalization of medical marijuana by allowing doctors to prescribe marijuana for treatment of appropriate conditions and illnesses as is done in 20 other states. He supported removing criminal penalties for possession of small amounts of marijuana as soon as possible, and proposed to later legalize, regulate, and tax recreational marijuana in Pennsylvania.
- "John Hanger - Secretary of Environmental Protection". Governor's Cabinet Officials.
- Foster, Brittany (13 March 2014). "PA-Gov: Hanger To Withdraw". PoliticsPA. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Hanger, John (2011). John Hanger.
- "Democratic Short List '04". PoliticsPA. The Publius Group. 2003. Archived from the original on 2003-08-02.
- Gibson, Keegan. "Exclusive: Former DEP Hanger Looking to Challenge Corbett". PoliticsPA. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- Gibson, Keegan (26 November 2012). "Hanger Makes Guv Bid Official". PoliticsPA. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "The People's Campaign ends, but the work continues". John Hanger for Governor. 13 March 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "I t’s time to legalize marijuana". Retrieved 22 February 2014.