John Harvey (author)
Harvey has published over 90 books under various names, and has worked on scripts for TV and radio. He also ran Slow Dancer Press from 1977 to 1999 publishing poetry.
The first Resnick novel, Lonely Hearts, was published in 1989, and was named by The Times as one of the 100 Greatest Crime Novels of the Century. Harvey brought the series to an end in 1998 with Last Rites, though Resnick has since made peripheral appearances in Harvey's new Frank Elder series.
The new protagonist Elder is a retired detective who now lives, as Harvey briefly did, in Cornwall. The first novel in this series, Flesh and Blood, won Harvey the Crime Writers' Association Silver Dagger in 2004, an accolade many crime fiction critics[who?] thought long overdue. In 2007 he was awarded the Diamond Dagger for a Lifetime's Contribution to the genre.
On 14 July 2009 he received an honorary degree (Doctor of Letters) from the University of Nottingham in recognition of his literary eminence and his associations with both the University and Nottingham (particularly in the Charlie Resnick novels). He is also a big Notts County fan.
Website His website is http://mellotone.co.uk/
- In A True Light (2001)
- Gone to Ground (2007) Shortlisted for Theakston’s Old Peculiar Crime Novel of the Year Award 2009.
- Nick's Blues (2008 - novella)
- Far Cry (2009)
- A Darker Shade of Blue (2010)
- Good Bait (2012)
Charlie Resnick series
- Lonely Hearts
- Rough Treatment
- Cutting Edge
- Off Minor
- Wasted Years
- Cold Light
- Living Proof
- Easy Meat
- Still Water
- Last Rites
- Trouble in Mind (novella also featuring Jack Kiley) (2007)
- Cold in Hand (2008)
- Darkness, Darkness
Frank Elder trilogy
Awards and accolades
- 1989 - The Times' list of the Hundred Best Crime Novels of the Last Century for Lonely Hearts
- 1990 - CWA Gold Dagger for Fiction (shortlist): Rough Treatment'
- 1995 - CWA Dagger in the Library
- 1997 - French CWA award for Best Foreign Novel: Off Minor
- 1998 - Sherlock Award: Last Rites
- 2000 - Grand Prix du Roman Noir Étranger: Cold Light
- 2004 - CWA Silver Dagger for Fiction: Flesh and Blood
- 2004 - Barry Award for best British Novel: Flesh and Blood
- 2007 - CWA Cartier Diamond Dagger award for a Lifetime's Achievement in the Field
- 2007 - Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award (longlist): Ash & Bone
- "Shortlist for Theakston’s Crime Novel of the year Award 2009". digyorkshire.com. 2009-06-02. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- Author's homepage including John Harvey/Charlie Resnick Newsletter
- Author Profile at Piccadilly Publishing on the digital release of the Caleb Thorn, Herne the Hunter and Hart the Regulator Western series