John Heysham Gibbon
|John Heysham Gibbon|
|Born||September 29, 1903
|Died||February 5, 1973|
|Alma mater||Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia|
|Known for||heart-lung machine
open heart surgery
|Notable awards||Dickson Prize (1973)|
John Heysham Gibbon Jr., AB, MD, (September 29, 1903 – February 5, 1973) was an American surgeon best known for inventing the heart-lung machine and performing subsequent open heart surgeries which revolutionized heart surgery in the twentieth century. He was the son of Dr. John Heysham Gibbon, Sr., and Marjorie Young Gibbon (daughter of General Samuel Young), and came from a long line of medical doctors including his father, grandfather Robert, great-grandfather John and great-great grandfather.
Gibbon received his AB from Princeton University in 1923 and his MD from Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia in 1927. Later, he received honorary degrees from the Universities of Princeton, Buffalo and Pennsylvania and Dickinson College. He married Mary Hopkinson, daughter of painter Charles Hopkinson. He had four children: Mary, John, Alice and Marjorie.
During World War II, he served in the Burma China India Theater.
Gibbon died in 1973, ironically from a heart attack, while playing tennis.
His papers are held at the National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, Maryland.
- "John H. Gibbon Papers 1903-1956". National Library of Medicine.
- Singh, Jaswinder; Dhaliwal Rajinder Singh; Luthra Suvitesh; Das Debasis; Mehta Sudhir (February 2006). "Seventy-five years after the birth of an idea: a tribute to John H Gibbon Jr". J. Am. Coll. Surg. 202 (2): 384–5. doi:10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2005.10.004. PMID 16427569.
- Edmunds, L Henry (December 2003). "Advances in the heart-lung machine after John and Mary Gibbon". Ann. Thorac. Surg. 76 (6): S2220–3. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.09.013. PMID 14667690.
- Camishion, Rudolph C (December 2003). "Remembering John H. Gibbon, Jr, MD". Ann. Thorac. Surg. 76 (6): S2199–200. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.09.011. PMID 14667685.
- Shumacker, Harris B (December 2003). "Reminiscences of John H. Gibbon, Jr, MD". Ann. Thorac. Surg. 76 (6): S2195–6. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.09.015. PMID 14667683.
- DeBakey, Michael E (December 2003). "John Gibbon and the heart-lung machine: a personal encounter and his import for cardiovascular surgery". Ann. Thorac. Surg. 76 (6): S2188–94. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.09.009. PMID 14667682.
- "Gibbon and his Heart-Lung Machine: 50 Years and Beyond. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. May 2, 2003". Ann. Thorac. Surg. 76 (6): S2185–259. December 2003. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.09.136. PMID 14667681.
- Fou, A A (1997). "John H. Gibbon. The first 20 years of the heart-lung machine". Texas Heart Institute journal / from the Texas Heart Institute of St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Texas Children's Hospital 24 (1): 1–8. PMC 325428. PMID 9205994.
- Bing, R (August 1994). "John H. Gibbon, Jr. Cardiopulmonary bypass--triumph of perserverance and character". Clinical cardiology 17 (8): 456–7. doi:10.1002/clc.4960170811. PMID 7955595.
- Templeton, J Y (May 1993). "Early recollections of Dr. John H. Gibbon, Jr". Journal of Cardiac Surgery 8 (3): 396–7. doi:10.1111/j.1540-8191.1993.tb00382.x. PMID 8507969.
- Shumacker, H B (December 1984). "John H. Gibbon, Jr.: the heart-lung machine and progress in cardiovascular surgery". Transactions & studies of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 6 (4): 249–63. PMID 6393466.
- Dobell, A R; Dobell, Anthony R.C. (September 1982). "John H. Gibbon, Jr. Part II. Personal reminiscences". Ann. Thorac. Surg. 34 (3): 342–4. doi:10.1016/S0003-4975(10)62508-8. PMID 7052002.
- Hill, J D; Hill, J. Donald (September 1982). "John H. Gibbon, Jr. Part I. The development of the first successful heart-lung machine". Ann. Thorac. Surg. 34 (3): 337–41. doi:10.1016/S0003-4975(10)62507-6. PMID 7052001.
- Shumacker, H B (1982). "John Heysham Gibbon, Jr.: September 29, 1903-February 5, 1973". Biographical memoirs. National Academy of Sciences (U.S.) 53: 213–47. PMID 11620793.
- Muller, W H (November 1977). "The John H. Gibbon Jr. Lecture: the evolution and current status of surgery of the aortic valve". Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons 62 (11): 20–31. PMID 10315789.
- Crafoord, C; Dennis C; Shumacker H B (February 1974). "John H. Gibbon, Jr., as I knew him". Transactions & studies of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 41 (3): 187–92. PMID 4593057.
- Rhoads, J E (February 1974). "Memoir of John Heysham Gibbon, Jr. 1903-73". Transactions & studies of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 41 (3): 194–7. PMID 4593058.
- "Memorial service for John Heysham Gibbon, Jr., M.D". Transactions & studies of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 41 (3): 176–82. February 1974. PMID 4593056.
- Camishion, R C (December 1973). "John H. Gibbon, Jr. (1903-1973)". J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 66 (6): 982–4. PMID 4586305.
- "John H. Gibbon, Jr., M.D". Review of surgery 27 (4): 230. 1970. PMID 4918486.
- FLICK, J B (August 1957). "Memoir of John Heysham Gibbon (1871-1956)". Transactions & studies of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 25 (2): 116–8. PMID 13468033.
- John Heysham Gibbon - Medical Doctor with a Penchant for Engineering - Today's Engineer IEEE
- John H. Gibbon, Jr. - 10 Notable Jefferson Alumni of the Past - Thomas Jefferson University
- John Gibbon - National Inventors Hall of Fame
- John Heysham Gibbon - inventors.about.com
- John Heysham Gibbon, Jr. - Biographical Memoirs, National Academy of Science