Lebanon, 2007, acrylic on cotton duck, 60 x 55 inches
12 October 1934|
Sheffield, United Kingdom
|Died||31 July 2011(aged 76)|
|Training||Sheffield School of Art
Royal Academy Schools
|Awards||Appointed Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy Schools (1999)|
Hoyland was born born 12 October 1934, in Sheffield, Yorkshire, to a working-class family, and educated at Sheffield School of Arts and Crafts' junior school, before progressing to the senior school four years later, and the Royal Academy Schools.
Hoyland's first solo exhibition was held at the Marlborough New London Gallery in 1964 and his first solo museum show at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in 1967, curated by Bryan Robertson. In the 1960s, Hoyland's work was characterised by simple shapes, high-key colour and a flat picture surface. In the 1970s his paintings became more textured. He exhibited at the Waddington Galleries, London throughout the 1970s and 1980s. During the 1960s and 1970s, he showed his paintings in New York City with the Robert Elkon Gallery and the André Emmerich Gallery. His paintings are closely aligned with Post-Painterly Abstraction, Color Field painting and Lyrical Abstraction. Hoyland disliked the "abstract" painter label and described himself as "a painter".
His works are held in many public and private collections including the Tate. In September 2010, Hoyland and five other British artists including Howard Hodgkin, John Walker, Ian Stephenson, Patrick Caulfield and R.B. Kitaj were included in an exhibition entitled The Independent Eye: Contemporary British Art From the Collection of Samuel and Gabrielle Lurie, at the Yale Center for British Art.
Hoyland died 31 July 2011 aged 76, of complications following heart surgery in 2008. He was survived by Beverley; his son, Jeremy, from his first marriage to Airi; and his mother, Kathleen.
- Lambirth, Andrew (2009). "John Hoyland: Star Thrower. Biography". Beaux Arts. Retrieved 7 April 2010.
- "John Hoyland RA". Royal Academy of Arts. 2010. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- Mel Gooding Obituary: John Hoyland, The Guardian, 1 August 2011
-  The Guardian, John Hoyland obituary, Mel Gooding 2011
- "Colorscope: Abstract Painting 1960-1979". Santa Barbara Museum of Art. 2010. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "John Hoyland". The Telegraph. 1 August 2011.
- Gooding, Mel (2006-05-06). "Sensation, revelation!". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 December 2010.
- John Moores Prize
- Tate Collection - John Hoyland
- Channeling American Abstraction, Karen Wilkin, Wall Street Journal Retrieved October 7, 2010
- NY Times, exhibition review Retrieved December 15, 2010
- Gooding, Mel (2006-05-01). John Hoyland. Thames & Hudson. ISBN 0-500-09330-X.
- Lambirth, Andrew (2009-10-01). John Hoyland: Scatter the Devils. Unicorn Press. ISBN 1-906509-07-7.
- Moorhouse, Paul (2006). John Hoyland: The Trajectory of a Fallen Angel. Tate Publishing. ISBN 978-1-85437-693-0.
- Obituary in The Independent by Marcus Williamson
- Feature article in The Independent
- John Hoyland - Beaux Arts, exhibitions, essays, biography
- John Hoyland: Unmistakable Identity Exhibition at Alan Wheatley Art
- Works by John Hoyland at Alan Wheatley Art
- A Conversation between John Hoyland and Damien Hirst 2009