John Hughes (footballer, born 1855)
|Full name||John Richard Morgan|
|Date of birth||1855|
|Place of birth||Glynpadarn, Aberystwyth, Wales|
|Date of death||2 October 1914|
|Place of death||Bloomsbury, England|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
John "Jack" Hughes (1855 – 2 October 1914) was a Welsh amateur footballer who made two appearances as a forward for Wales in 1877 and 1879. He was also involved in the early days of Aberystwyth Town Football Club.
Early life and education
In October 1874, he was admitted to Jesus College, Cambridge as a "pensioner", graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in 1878. At Cambridge, he was awarded a blue in 1875, 1876 and 1877; in the latter year, he played alongside fellow future Wales international, John Morgan.
As early as 1873, Hughes and his brother, Hugh, are recorded as scoring three goals between them in a football match in Aberystwyth. Along with their elder brother, Arthur, the three men endeavoured to create a football club in the town, although it was not until October 1884 that the present club was formed, after Arthur placed an advertisement in the local press seeking "Gentlemen wishing to join the (Aberystwyth Football) Club".
Jack Hughes was captain of the local side until he moved away in 1879. Hughes was described as the "first exponent of the association game" in Aberystwyth and is was later said of him:
The pre-eminence of Jack Hughes cannot be over-emphasized . . . he was one of the best forwards in the United Kingdom. At that period, combination was unknown and a single good player in a team counted a lot, so that Aberystwyth in virtue alone of their possession of a footballer of so much renown held a high place in the football world.
Hughes's international debut came in the first international played in Wales, against Scotland on 5 March 1877. (The two countries had met the year before in Glasgow in Wales's first international match.) The match at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground ended in a 2–0 victory for the Scots. Hughes (now registered as an "Aberystwyth" player) was selected again two years later in April 1879, against the Scots; this match also ended in a Scottish victory, by a three-goal margin.
- Davies, Gareth; Garland, Ian (1991). Who's Who of Welsh International Soccer Players. Bridge Books. p. 90. ISBN 1-872424-11-2.
- "Jack Hughes (HHS874J)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Arthur Hughes". The History of Aberystwyth Town FC. "The Old Black & Green". Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Wales 0 Scotland 2". Welsh Football Data Archive. 5 March 1877. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Wales 0 Scotland 2". www.londonhearts.com (Match report). 5 March 1877. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Wales 0 Scotland 3". Welsh Football Data Archive. 7 April 1879. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Wales 0 Scotland 3". www.londonhearts.com (Match report). 7 April 1879. Retrieved 21 December 2011.