John II, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken
|John II, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken|
|Spouse(s)||Catherine de Rohan
Louise Juliana of the Palatinate
|Noble family||House of Wittelsbach|
|Father||John I, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken|
|Mother||Magdalene of Jülich-Cleves-Berg|
26 March 1584|
|Died||9 August 1635
John was born in Bergzabern in 1584 as the eldest son of John I, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken and his wife, Magdalene of Jülich-Cleves-Berg. He succeeded his father in 1604 and in 1606 he took back possession of the lordship of Bischweiler in Alsace for the House of Wittelsbach from a vassal, Flach von Schwanzenberg. In 1611 he executed his late father's dispositions in favour of his younger brothers, Friedrich Casimir and Johann Casimir, giving them, respectively, the appanages of Landsberg and Neukastell, retaining for his own realm most of Zweibrücken.
From 1610 until 1612 he was the guardian of Frederick V, Elector Palatine. In this function he was briefly the deputy of the Holy Roman Emperor Rudolph II in 1612, and he minted coins with the Imperial two-headed eagle on reverse.
His first wife having died in 1607, he re-married a cousin, daughter of the Elector Palatineat Heidelberg in May and two months later purchased the estate of Birlenbach (Bas-Rhin), which included dependent manors from Eberhard, Count of Ribeaupierre.
|John II, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken||Father:
John I, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken
Wolfgang, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken
Louis II, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken
Elisabeth of Hesse
Anna of Hesse
Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse
Christine of Saxony
Magdalene of Jülich-Cleves-Berg
Wilhelm, Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg
John III, Duke of Cleves
Maria von Geldern
Maria of Habsburg, Archduchess of Austria
Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor
Anna of Bohemia and Hungary
Family and children
- Magdalena Catherine (26 April 1607 - 20 January 1648), married Christian I, Count Palatine of Birkenfeld-Bischweiler
John married Louise Juliana (1594 - 1640) (16 July 1594 - 28 April 1640), daughter of Frederick IV, Elector Palatine, on 13 May 1612 and had the following children:
- Elizabeth Louise Juliana, Abbess of Herford (16 July 1613 - 29 March 1667)
- Catherine Elizabeth Charlotte (1615 - 1651) (11 January 1615 - 21 March 1651)
- Frederick (5 April 1616 - 9 July 1661)
- Anne Sybille (20 July 1617 - 9 November 1641)
- John Louis (1619 - 1647) (22 July 1619 - 15 October 1647)
- Juliana Magdalena (1621 - 1672) (23 April 1621 - 25 March 1672), married to Frederick Louis, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken
- Maria Amalie (19 October 1622 - 11 June 1641)
John II, Count Palatine of ZweibrückenBorn: 26 March 1584 Died: 9 August 1635
|Duke of Zweibrücken
- Anselme, Père. ‘’Histoire de la Maison Royale de France’’, tome 4. Editions du Palais-Royal, 1967, Paris. pp. 71-72. (French).
- Huberty, Michel; Giraud, Alain; Magdelaine, F. and B. (1985). L'Allemagne Dynastique, Tome IV -- Wittelsbach. France: Laballery. pp. 83, 106–107, 119–120. ISBN 2-901138-04-7.