John III of Navarre
|Reign||1484 – 14 June 1516|
|Spouse||Catherine, Queen of Navarre|
|Henry II of Navarre
Isabella, Viscountess of Rohan
|House||House of Albret|
|Father||Alain I of Albret|
|Mother||Frances of Châtillon-Limoges|
|Died||14 June 1516|
In 1512, John III was defeated by Ferdinand II of Aragon, whose second wife was Germaine de Foix (1490–1538), a cousin of Queen Catherine. Navarre south of the Pyrenees was annexed by the victorious Ferdinand and remained a domain of the Kings of Spain, who also bore the title of Kings of Navarre, until the 1833 territorial division of Spain, when it was completely integrated into Spain.
Lower Navarre remained with John and his successors as Kings of Navarre, increasingly under French influence. After King Henry III of Navarre had mounted the French throne in 1589, he and his successors styled themselves Kings of France and Navarre until Louis XIII merged Lower Navarre with France in 1620.
- Anne of Navarre (19 May 1492 – 15 August 1532).
- Magdalena of Navarre (29 March 1494 – May 1504).
- Catherine of Navarre (1495 – November 1532). Abbess of the Trinity at Caen.
- Joan of Navarre (15 June 1496 – last mentioned in November 1496).
- Quiteria of Navarre (1499 – September/October 1536). Abbess at Montivilliers.
- A stillborn son in 1500.
- Andrew Phoebus of Navarre (14 October 1501 – 17 April 1503).
- Henry II of Navarre (18 April 1503 – 25 May 1555).
- Buenaventura of Navarre (14 July 1505 – 1510/1511).
- Martin of Navarre (c. 1506 – last mentioned in 1512).
- Francis of Navarre (1508 – last mentioned in 1512).
- Charles of Navarre (12 December 1510 – September 1528). Took part in the Siege of Naples during the War of the League of Cognac but was captured. Died while still held as a prisoner of war.
- Isabella of Navarre (1513/1514 – last mentioned in 1555). Married Rene I, Viscount of Rohan.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Henry II (1503–1555)". Encyclopædia Britannica 13 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 293.
- Prinet, Léon Jacques Maxime (1911). "Albret". In Chisholm, Hugh. Encyclopædia Britannica 1 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. pp. 512, 513.
- Cawley, Charles, List and genealogy of the Kings of Navarre, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, retrieved August 2012,[better source needed]
John III of NavarreBorn: 1469 Died: June 14 1516
as solo monarch
|King of Navarre
Count of Foix
1484 – 14 June 1516
as solo monarch