John Ivatt Briscoe
Briscoe was the son of John Briscoe of Cross Deep, Twickenham and his wife Mary Winthrop, daughter of Stephen Winthrop. He was educated at University College, Oxford and graduated BA 2nd class in classics in 1812 and MA in 1815. He entered as a student at Lincoln's Inn, but was not called to the bar. He was a Deputy Lieutenant and J.P. for Surrey and a J.P. for Middlesex. He wrote a pamphlet on "Prison Discipline."
At the 1830 general election Briscoe was elected as a Member of Parliament (MP) for Surrey. He held the seat until it was divided under the Reform Act, and was then elected at the 1832 general election as an MP for East Surrey, but was defeated at the 1835 election. He was returned to the Commons at the next general election, in 1837 as the MP for Westbury, where he defeated the sitting Conservative MP Sir Ralph Lopes by 98 votes to 96. He held that seat until the general election in June 1841, when he did not contest the seat. Briscoe did not stand for Parliament again until the 1857 general election, when he was elected as an MP for West Surrey. He held the seat until his death aged 79 in 1870.
- Debretts House of Commons and the Judicial Bench 1870
- Stooks Smith, Henry. (1973) [1844-1850]. Craig, F. W. S., ed. The Parliaments of England (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 321. ISBN 0-900178-13-2.
- The London Gazette: . 25 December 1832.. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 465. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Craig, page 326
- Craig, page 468
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 6)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by John Briscoe
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
William Joseph Denison
|Member of Parliament for Surrey
1830 – 1832
With: William Joseph Denison
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for East Surrey
1832 – 1835
With: Aubrey Beauclerk
Sir Ralph Lopes, Bt
|Member of Parliament for Westbury
1837 – 1841
Sir Ralph Lopes, Bt
|Member of Parliament for West Surrey
1857 – 1870
With: Henry Drummond to 1860
George Cubitt from 1860
|This article about a Liberal Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|