Jaso with the Oakland Athletics
|Oakland Athletics – No. 5|
|Catcher / Designated hitter|
September 19, 1983 |
Chula Vista, California
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|September 6, 2008 for the Tampa Bay Rays|
(through April 14, 2014)
|Runs batted in||144|
Tampa Bay Rays
Attended Trinidad Elementary school (Trinidad, ca). Jaso graduated from McKinleyville High School in McKinleyville, California, in 2001. He attended Southwestern Community College in 2003, and was originally drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 12th round (338th overall) of the 2003 Major League Baseball Draft.
Jaso began his professional career playing for the Low Single-A Hudson Valley Renegades for two seasons from 2003 to 2004. He had a .221 batting average in 2003, but improved to .302 in 2004 and was also a postseason All-Star for that season. He took the next step in 2005, playing for the Single-A Southwest Michigan Devil Rays. He had a .307 batting average and had 14 home runs, his most of any season to date. Also, he was a midseason and postseason All-Star. In 2006, he took another step, playing for the High Single-A Visalia Oaks and his season included being named to the midseason All-Star team. In 2007, he played for the Double-A Montgomery Biscuits. His .316 batting average was second in the Southern League, on-base percentage of .408 was third among league leaders and a slugging percentage of .484 was good enough for sixth in the league. His best minor league season included being named to the midseason and postseason All-Star team and was also Topps Southern League Player of the Month for August. Baseball America and Topps also named him as a Double-A All-Star after the season.
In spring training with Tampa Bay in 2011, he led the majors in stolen bases given up, with 18, while only catching 2 runners.
On November 27, 2011, he was traded to the Seattle Mariners for Josh Lueke and a player to be named later. On August 15, 2012, he caught Mariner teammate Félix Hernández's perfect game against his former team, the Tampa Bay Rays.
On January 16, 2013, Jaso was traded to the Oakland Athletics in a three-team trade that sent Michael Morse to the Mariners, Ian Krol and A. J. Cole, and Blake Treinen to the Washington Nationals.
John Jaso lives in Florida with his wife Shannon Jaso and two English bulldogs. 
- Rux, Jack (June 16, 2013). "Swing Of Things: McKinleyville High grad John Jaso a hit with the Oakland A's". Eureka Times-Standard. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Major League Baseball Stats: Sortable Statistics". mlb.com. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- Mariners land slugger Michael Morse in three-way trade MLB.com
- Mariners Acquire Morse In Three-Team Deal With Nationals, Athletics MLB Trade Rumors
- "Mariners catcher John Jaso has some strange pets". seattlepi.com. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)