John John Florence
|John John Florence
|Born||John John Florence
October 18, 1992
Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A
|Quiver||5 11" x 18.25 x 2.25|
John John Florence , the oldest of three children, grew up in Hale'iwa, in an ocean-side house at the Banzai Pipeline. He resides with his mother, Alexandra, and his two younger brothers Nathan and Ivan. He was introduced to surfing by Alexandra, who is a surfer herself. Florence claims he rode a surf board at the age of six months, wearing a life vest on his father John's board; he was riding on his own by the age of three. He is known now for his spectacular aerial abilities.
Florence became well known in the winter of late 2005 and early 2006 when he became the youngest surfer ever to compete in the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing. He had previously won five amateur awards, the 2003 1st NSSA Nationals Open Mini Grom, the 2005 1st NSSA Nationals Open Boy's, the 2005 NSSA Open Boys and the Explorer Menehune Champion. He did not pass the first round, but he did score higher than Shane Dorian, a professional surfer twenty years Florence's senior. Afterwards, Florence said he was "pretty scared" but that he was "happy with how [he] did".
Surfer Kelly Slater has said of Florence "John John's going to know the waves on North Shore like no one we've ever seen before." Singer Jack Johnson, who grew up in the same town as Florence, said he is "a little unprecedented".
John John won the Vans World Cup of Surfing on 2011 and 2013. He is the youngest contestant to have won this prestigious honor. He is well-known among surfers and Oahu residents and now he is starting to shine to the rest of the world. Most recently, Florence changed sponsors, joining Hurley International, after surfing for O'Neill since he was six years old.
- Schreiber, Dave (2 December 2005). "Sports: Up Close: John John Florence". Sports Up Close (St. Petersburg Times). Retrieved 2007-09-20.
- "Stellar Profile: John John Florence". Retrieved 2007-09-20.
- "John John Florence - Surf - Lat34.com". Retrieved 2007-11-19.
- "John John Florence - Outside Online". Retrieved 2007-11-19.
- "Thirteen-Year-Old John John Florence Tackles Huge Haleiwa At Op Pro Haleiwa. - SURF Magazine". Transworld Surf. 17 November 2005. Retrieved 2007-11-19.