Dr. John C. Klensin is a computer science professional who is active in Internet-related issues.
His career includes 30 years as a Principal Research Scientist at MIT, a stint as INFOODS Project Coordinator for the United Nations University, Distinguished Engineering Fellow at MCI WorldCom, and Internet Architecture Vice President at AT&T; he is now an independent consultant.
His involvement with Internet protocols began in 1969, when he worked on the File Transfer Protocol. In 1992 Randy Bush and John Klensin created the Network Startup Resource Center, helping dozens of countries to establish connections with FidoNet, UseNet, and when possible Internet.
In 2003 he received an INCITS Merit Award. In 2008, he was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery. In 2012, Klensin was inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame by the Internet Society.
John Klensin is the author or co-editor of over 40 RFCs, and has served as IETF Applications Area director 1993-1995, Internet Architecture Board member 1996-2002, and IAB chair 2000-2002. In March 2009 he began another term on the IAB ending in 2011.
The RFCs written or edited by John Klensin cover SMTP (RFC 4409 and RFC 5321 among others), IDNA (RFC 5890 and RFC 6055 among others), Unicode (RFC 5137 and RFC 5198 among others), and other fields such as CRAM-MD5 (RFC 2195) or IETF policies (RFC 3933). In March 2011 8BITMIME (RFC 6152) was published as Internet standard STD 71, in November 2011 Mail submission (RFC 6409) was published as STD 72.
His i18n work also included an April Fools' Day RFC in collaboration with Harald Alvestrand (RFC 5242) and MIME in collaboration with Ned Freed (RFC 4289 among others). He is working on several Internet drafts. As of 2011 he is one of the two co-chairs for the IETF EAI working group, and a member of the RFC Independent Submissions Editorial Board.
- "Biography of John Klensin at the ICANN web site". Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "Internet Experts selected to fill top organizational posts". ISOC. 1998-04-03. Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- "About the Network Startup Resource Center". NSRC. 1992. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- "INCITS Awards Honor Roll". INCITS. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- "List of 2007 ACM Fellows inductees". Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- 2012 Inductees, Internet Hall of Fame website. Last accessed April 24, 2012
- "RFC publication list at networksorcery.com". Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "List of IESG members at the IETF website". Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "A brief history of the IAB — Chairs". Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- "List of IAB members from the IAB website". Retrieved 2009-07-10.
- "John Klensin Data". Document Stats -- What is Going on in the IETF?. Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- "Email Address Internationalization WG". IETF. Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- "Independent Submissions Editorial Board". RFC Editor. 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: John Klensin|