February 6, 1962 |
Ann Arbor, Michigan
|Education||USC School of Cinematic Arts|
|Occupation||Visual Effects Supervisor, chief creative officer (CCO)|
John Knoll (born 1962) is a visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer (CCO) at Industrial Light & Magic (ILM). One of the original creators of Adobe Photoshop (along with his brother, Thomas Knoll), he has also worked as visual effects supervisor on the Star Wars prequels and the 1997 special editions of the original trilogy. He also served as ILM's visual effects supervisor for Star Trek Generations and Star Trek: First Contact, as well as the Pirates of the Caribbean series. His work on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest earned him the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects.
Knoll has been praised by directors James Cameron, Gore Verbinski, Guillermo del Toro, and Brad Bird. Del Toro, who worked with Knoll for the first time on Pacific Rim, stated "He basically has the heart of a kid and the mind of a scientist, and that’s a great combination."
A co-developer of Photoshop along with his brother Thomas Knoll, Knoll is also the inventor of Knoll Light Factory, a lens flare generating software inspired by his work at Industrial Light and Magic.
Knoll was also the Computer Graphics Project Designer on The Abyss, an achievement which earned ILM its tenth Academy Award for Visual Effects, and worked on two Star Trek episodes - Star Trek: The Next Generation's pilot episode ("Encounter at Farpoint") and the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Explorers".
- John Knoll, J. W. Rinzler: Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days with CDROM; Book about the Making of the Star Wars Saga; ISBN 0-8109-5936-4
- Cohen, David (23 May 2013). "Industrial Light & Magic Ups John Knoll to Chief Creative Officer (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Nominees & Winners for the 79th Academy Awards". Oscars.org.
- Cohen, David (28 May 2013). "John Knoll Hailed By Helmers Bird, Verbinski, del Toro and Cameron". Variety. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Red Giant - Products - Knoll Light Factory 3.0 - More Info". Red Giant Software.