John L. Lumley
|John Leask Lumley|
|Institutions||Pennsylvania State University
|Alma mater||Johns Hopkins University|
|Doctoral advisor||Stanley Corrsin|
|Doctoral students||William K. George|
|Known for||Fluid turbulence|
|Notable awards||Fluid Dynamics Prize|
John Leask Lumley is a Professor Emeritus, Graduate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering at Cornell University. He is widely known for his research in turbulence and is the coauthor of A First Course in Turbulence along with Hendrik Tennekes.
Lumley received his M.S.E. and Ph.D. degrees from The Johns Hopkins University in 1954 and 1957 respectively. His Ph.D. thesis supervisor was Stanley Corrsin. He started his academic career at the Pennsylvania State University where he became Evan Pugh Professor of Aerospace Engineering. He was also in charge of research on turbulence and transition at the Applied Research Laboratory. In 1977 Lumley joined Cornell University where he is now the Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering.
Honors and awards
Lumley received the 1990 Fluid Dynamics Prize of American Physical Society, "For his outstanding contributions to the understanding of turbulent flow, in particular, the fundamental structure of turbulent shear flows, the effects of drag-reducing additives, and his widely recognized contributions to the statistical theory of turbulence, and for his personal and intellectual leadership in the international fluid dynamics community, including his educational films and books, and his long active devotion to the Division of Fluid Dynamics of The American Physical Society." He has also received several other wards, including:
- Fluid and Plasma Dynamics Award of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1982
- Timoshenko Medal, 1993
- Recipient of two honorary doctorate degrees (honoris causa) from the French University System, in Lyon and in Poitiers.
- Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering
- Tennekes, H. and J. L. Lumley, A First Course in Turbulence, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA (1972).
- Holmes, P., J. L. Lumley, and G. Berkooz, Turbulence, Coherent Structures, Dynamical Systems and Symmetry, Cambridge University Press (1998). ISBN 978-0-521-63419-9
- Lumley, J. L., Engines: An Introduction, Cambridge University Press, (1999).
- Lumley, J. L., Still Life with Cars: An Automotive Memoir, McFarland, (2005).
- Lumley, J. L., Stochastic Tools in Turbulence, Dover Publications (2007). ISBN 978-0-486-46270-7
- Monin, A. S., A. M. Yaglom, and J. L. Lumley, Statistical Fluid Mechanics - vol 1: Mechanics of Turbulence, The MIT Press (1971). ISBN 978-0-262-13062-2