John L. Walters
John L. Walters is a British editor, critic and composer. He was a founding member of the band Landscape, best known for the 1981 hit "Einstein A Go-Go", which reached number 5 in the UK charts. Walters subsequently produced and arranged records for Swans Way, Kissing the Pink, Twelfth Night, The Mike Gibbs Orchestra and pianist Mark Springer, and worked with other artists from the era including Kate Bush, Hot Gossip and Landscape colleague Richard James Burgess. From 1987 to 1997 Walters was a member of the "electronic jazz orchestra" Zyklus, with Neil Ardley, Warren Greveson and Ian Carr.
In 1997, after working for various newspapers and magazines, including the Architectural Review, he joined Eye magazine as managing editor, and subsequently became its editor and co-owner. He holds a degree in Maths with Physics from King's College London.
Walters also writes about creative music (including on jazz, electronica and world music) for The Guardian.
He is married to writer and journalist Clare Walters and has two daughters, circus artist Jessie Rose from the Hula Hoop trio Hoop La La (Semi-finalists, Britain’s Got Talent 2008) and student Rosie Walters.
Walters has been the editor of Eye magazine since the publication of Eye no. 33 in 1999. He became its co-owner (with art director Simon Esterson) after a management buy-out in 2008. In January 2010 he was the co-curator of a one-day conference about music and design at St Bride Library, London.
- Unknown Public website unknownpublic.com
- Editorial, Eye no. 33, vol. 9, Autumn 1999.
- Editorial, Eye no. 68, vol. 17, Summer 2008.
- Merz to Emigre and Beyond: Avant-Garde Magazine Design of the Twentieth Century, Steven Heller, Phaidon, 2003.
- The Barnbrook Bible, Rizzolli, 2007.
- Seventy-nine Short Essays on Design, Michael Bierut, Princeton Architectural Press, 2007.
- Communicate: Independent British Graphic Design since the Sixties, Rick Poynor (editor), Laurence King Publishing, 2004.
- Guinness Book of British Hit Singles, 7th Edition - 1988
- New Sounds New Styles, 1981. Layout by John Warwicker.
- John L. Walters discography.
- Landscape discography.
- Jazz: the Rough Guide (2nd edition). The Rough Guides, 2000. ISBN 1-85828-528-3
- 2004: The Rough Guide to Jazz, with Digby Fairweather & Brian Priestley (3rd edition), Rough Guides Limited. ISBN 1-84353-256-5
- Alyn Shipton, Out Of The Long Dark: The Life Of Ian Carr, Equinox Publishing, 2006. ISBN (Paperback) 1845532228 ISBN (Paperback) 9781845532222
- The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD, LP & Cassette, Richard Cook and Brian Morton, Penguin Books.
- BSME (British Society of Magazine Editors) award-winners, 2002.
- BSME (British Society of Magazine Editors) Awards shortlist 2010.