|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2011)|
World War II
In 1940, having worked with Smith's Weekly, one of Australia's most patriotic newspaper-style magazines, and the Wagga Wagga Advertiser, he enlisted in the 2nd Australian Imperial Force. He trained as an infantryman and later completed an officer course before serving in New Guinea, the world's second largest island. While convalescing in Sydney in 1943 he met his future wife Hazelle, a young VAD/VAR.
After World War II
After the war Laffin worked for a number of newspapers and magazines, wrote short novels and began his own feature service and editing unit. With his family he left for England in 1956 where he resided for nearly 40 years. He wrote articles for Australian newspapers and taught English, history and geography in secondary colleges. One of these was Mayfield College in East Sussex where he taught English and History in the 1960s while living in nearby Herstmonceux.
Laffin travelled extensively in Europe, especially the Western Front areas of World War I and in the Middle East. He returned to Australia in 1995. Hazelle Laffin died in early 1997 of heart disease.
John Laffin died in Canberra in 2000 after a long illness. He was survived by two daughters (Bronwen and Pirenne) and son (Craig).
- Hitler Warned Us, John Laffin, Brasseys, London, 1995 ISBN 1-85753-103-5
- We Will Remember Them, John Laffin, Kangaroo Press, Sydney, 1995 ISBN 0-86417-735-6
- British Butchers and Bunglers of World War One, John Laffin, Sutton Publishing, 2003 ISBN 0-7509-0179-9
- Surgeons in the Field, John Laffin, J.M. Dent and Sons, London, 1970 ISBN 0-460-03707-2
- The Arab Mind: A Need for Understanding, John Laffin, Cassell, London, 1975 ISBN 0-304-29489-6
- Fight for the Falklands!, John Laffin, Sphere Books Limited, London, 1982 ISBN 0-312-28868-9
- Holy War: Islam Fights, John Laffin, Grafton Books, London, 1988 ISBN 0-586-06868-6
- Fedayeen. The Arab-Israeli Dilemma. Cassell, London 1973
- Swifter than eagles - A biography of Marshal of the RAF Sir John Salmond, John Laffin, William Blackwood & Sons, 1964
- The Face of War - the evolution of weapons and their use in ten famous battles, John Laffin, Ab elard-Schuman, London, 1963
- Return to Glory
- Middle East Journey
- One Man's War
- Crime and Adventure
- Jungle Manhunt
- The Devil's Emissary
- The Dancer of San Jose
- The Dagger of Islam , John Laffin, Sphere Books Limited, 1979. ISBN 0-7221-5369-4
- The War of Desperation: Lebanon 1982-85, John Laffin
- Jack Tar: the story of the British sailor, John Laffin, Cassell, 1969.
- Codes and Ciphers, John Laffin, Arts & Voyages, 1969.
- The Man the Nazis Couldn't Catch John Laffin, Sutton Publishing, 1984/ 2004
- Jackboot : a history of the German soldier 1713-1945, John Laffin, Barnes & Noble Books, 2000 ISBN 1-56619-750-3
- Tommy Atkins: The Story of the English Soldier, John Laffin, Trafalgar Square, 2011 ISBN 0-7524-6066-8