|Born||1967 October 5
|Station(s)||WMLB FM WABE FM WBHM FM WKLD FM WCRL AM|
John Smith Lemley (born October 5, 1967 in Oneonta, Alabama) is the early-afternoon music host on WMLB (AM 1690 Atlanta, Georgia. From 12 noon until 2 p.m., he hosts a classical music program, John Lemley's City Cafe.
For over 17 years, Lemley presented several weekday afternoon and weekend classical music programs, City Cafe with John Lemley (2009-2015), Daytime (1997–2005), Bach's Lunch (2004–2006) and Sunday Morning Aubade on WABE (FM 90.1 Atlanta, Georgia. Lemley also hosted 90.1’s Tapestry(1998-2009), a Sunday evening program featuring choral music. From 2005 to 2009, he served as the local anchor for the station's late afternoon news block.
Lemley was also one of the “official voices” of WPBA, Atlanta’s PBS affiliate and WABE’s companion public television station. He joined the staff of Public Broadcasting Atlanta (the organization that holds the broadcast licenses for WABE and WPBA) in June 1997, after serving for five years as music director and afternoon classical music/news host at WBHM, the public radio station in Birmingham, Alabama.
Lemley is the younger son of Bill and Billie Lemley. (His father was a funeral home owner/director and served in the Alabama state legislature in the late 1960s.) Lemley showed an early interest in theatre and broadcasting. He performed in high school theatre productions and, at the age of 16, hosted an afternoon drive-time adult contemporary music program on Oneonta's radio station, WKLD. Lemley was hired by WBHM in 1992.
Education, theatre and arts management work
Lemley received a bachelor’s degree in musical theatre performance from Birmingham-Southern College. He was well on his way to becoming one of the most well-known names in the Birmingham theatre community, but became administrative assistant for the Birmingham Music Club, the South’s oldest arts organization.
Lemley lives in Atlanta with his partner, Mike Selk.
- John Lemley's Official Website - Biography
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution - Exclusive: John Lemley moves City Cafe to 1690/WMLB-AM from 90.1/WABE-FM
- GA Voice - Popular gay Atlanta radio host John Lemley moving from WABE 90.1 FM to AM 1690
- Creative Loafing Atlanta - A Critic's Notebook: WABE's John Lemley to venture 'Over the Rainbow'
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution - John Lemley Named as AJC Pick for "Best Drive-Time DJ in Atlanta 2008"
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution - John Lemley Holds Court With Bravo-Lifetime dandy Carson Kressley and Fred Schneider of the B-52s at Atlanta Restaurant/Bar
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution - A Virtual Tour of John Lemley and Michael Selk's Suburban Atlanta Home
- John Lemley on Voice123