John Leslie (pornographic actor)
|Born||John Leslie Nuzzo
January 25, 1945
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Died||December 5, 2010
Mill Valley, California, U.S.
|Other names||John Lestor, Lenny Kent, John Leslie Dupree, John Leslie Dupré, Louie T. Beagle, Louis T. Beagle, John Lesley, John Lessly, Frederick Watson|
John Leslie Nuzzo (January 25, 1945 – December 5, 2010) was a prolific porn actor who went on to have a long-running career as a producer and director of adult movies. Usually credited under the name John Leslie, he has also worked under a variety of pseudonyms, including John Leslie Dupre, Frederick Watson, and Lenny Lovely.
Along with Jamie Gillis, John C. Holmes, and Harry Reems, Leslie was one of the stalwart male stars of the Golden Age of Porn, when blue movies had to have narratives to avoid prosecution, were shot on film with pretensions of quality production values, and were frequently shown in mainstream movie houses.
After the eclipse of Holmes due to drug and legal problems, Leslie inherited the mantle of the porn industry's top male superstar with the success of Talk Dirty To Me in 1980. He eventually starred in over 300 porn films before making the transition to director.
Leslie was born into an Italian-American family in Pittsburgh in 1945. As a young man, he moved to Michigan, where he supported himself as a bartender while trying to make it as a musician. Leslie was a vocalist who played harmonica in a blues band.
Beginning with 1973's Sensuous Delights, Leslie was a performer in almost 300 adult films. He won numerous awards during his days as a performer. He appeared with some of the era's most noted porn stars, including Traci Lords, Seka, Kay Parker, and Annette Haven. His most noteworthy roles were in Pretty Peaches (1979), Nothing To Hide (1981), and Talk Dirty To Me, Part II (1982).
He was one of the first porn actors to make the transition from performing to directing, beginning with 1987's Nightshift Nurses. Since then he directed more than 90 adult movies, including The Chameleon (1989), Curse of the Catwoman (1992), Dog Walker (1994), and Drop Sex (1997), along with the Voyeur, Fresh Meat, and Crack Her Jack series. He won many awards for his work behind the cameras as well. Though much of his later work, in keeping with current trends in adult video, was in the gonzo genre, such as the "Fresh Meat" and "Crack Her Jack" series, Leslie continued to make feature films, or "sex dramas"; most recently, in 2007 he directed the film Brianna Love, Her Fine, Sexy Self.
In the early 1970s, he was a vocalist and harmonica player for the The Brooklyn Blues Busters, a southeastern Michigan-based musical group sometimes accompanying John Lee Hooker. The Brooklyn Blues Busters were the backing band for Victoria Spivey during the 1973 Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Festival. Nuzzo also worked as a bartender in the early 1970s at Mr. Flood's Party, in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
As a performer:
- 1977 AFAA Best Supporting Actor for Coming of Angels
- 1980 AFAA Best Actor for Talk Dirty to Me
- 1980 CAFA Best Actor for Talk Dirty to Me
- 1981 AFAA Best Actor for Wicked Sensations
- 1982 AFAA Best Actor for Talk Dirty to Me 2
- 1982 CAFA Best Actor for Talk Dirty to Me 2
- 1984 AFAA Best Actor for Dixie Ray and for Every Woman has a Fantasy (tied with himself for both movies)
- 1984 XRCO Best Copulation Scene for Every Woman has a Fantasy
- 1985 AFAA Best Supporting Actor for Taboo 4
- 1985 AVN Best Supporting Actor - Film for Firestorm
- 1986 XRCO Best Actor for Every Woman has a Fantasy 2
- 1988 AVN Best Actor - Film for Firestorm 2
- 1988 XRCO Best Actor for Beauty and the Beast
As a director:
- 1987 XRCO Best Director - Video for Nightshift Nurses
- 1988 XRCO Best Director for Catwoman
- 1989 AVN Best Director - Video for Catwoman
- 1992 XRCO Best Film for Chameleons: Not The Sequel
- 1994 XRCO Best Film for Dog Walker
- 1994 XRCO Director of the Year
- 1995 AVN Best Director - Film for Dog Walker
- 1995 AVN Best Director - Video for Bad Habits
- 1997 AVN Best All-Sex Release for John Leslie's Fresh Meat 3
- 1997 XRCO Director of the Year
- 1998 AVN Best All-Sex Release for John Leslie's Fresh Meat 4
- 1998 XRCO Director of the Year
- 1999 AVN Best All-Sex Release for John Leslie's Fresh Meat 5
- 1999 AVN Best Director - Video for The Lecher 2
- 2000 AVN Best All-Sex Release for The Voyeur 12
- 1989 AVN Best Screenplay - Video for Catwoman (with Mark Weiss)
- 1995 AVN Best Screenplay - Film for Dog Walker
- Nicolas Barbano: Verdens 25 hotteste pornostjerner (Rosinante, Denmark 1999) ISBN 87-7357-961-0: Features a chapter on him.
- Thedeadrockstarsclub.com - accessed December 2010
- Berton, Justin (9 December 2010). "John Nuzzo, a.k.a. porn star John Leslie, dies". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "AVN Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "Legends of Erotica". Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "XRCO Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- url =http://cinesourcemagazine.com/index.php?/site/broll_fa/mise_en_scene_dec_10/
- "Rame awards list". Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- MayorDefacto. "Transcript of the video A Night of Legends: First Annual XRCO Adult Film Awards". Retrieved 2008-08-09.
- "Past AVN Award Winners". Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "XRCO past winners". Retrieved 2007-12-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Leslie (pornographic actor).|
- John Leslie (pornographic actor) at Find a Grave
- John Leslie at the Internet Movie Database
- John Leslie at the Internet Adult Film Database
- John Leslie at the Adult Film Database