John Liddell (doctor)
Sir John Liddell, KCB, FRS (1794 – 28 May 1868) was a Scottish medical doctor who served as Director-General of the Medical Department of the Royal Navy (30 April 1855 – 21 January 1864), and senior medical officer of the Royal Hospital at Greenwich.
Born in Dunblane in 1794, Liddell was educated at the University of Edinburgh before joining the Royal Navy where he saw service at the Battle of Navarino (1827). During a period as director of Malta's Bighi Naval Hospital (1827–1844), he served on HMS Barham during Sir Walter Scott's 1831 voyage to Naples. He was appointed inspector of fleets and hospitals in 1844.
He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society on 18 June 1846, knighted in 1848, appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1850 and promoted to Knight Commander on 9 February 1864. A photographic portrait of Liddell, taken in April 1861 by Camille Silvy, is in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery, London.
Succeeding Sir William Burnett, his time as Director-General coincided with the Crimean War, which brought him into contact with Florence Nightingale with whom he was subsequently in occasional contact regarding hospital design; at his request, Nightingale inspected Haslar Hospital in January 1857, and he later accompanied her on a visit to Chatham hospital.
- The organisation of the Medical Department of the Royal Navy, in William Loney RN - Victorian naval surgeon http://www.pdavis.nl/Ranks.htm (accessed: 19 June 2012)
- "Obituary: Sir John Liddell, KCB, MD". British Medical Journal 1 (338): 574. 6 June 1868. PMC 2310099. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- Archbold, W. A. J.; Herrick, Claire E. J. (September 2010). "Liddell, Sir John (1794–1868)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/16642. Retrieved 16 December 2012. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Sultana, Donald (1972) The Journey of Sir Walter Scott from Abbotsford to Malta Melita Historica. [Malta Historical Society]. 6(1972)1(1-21) http://melita3historica.x90x.net/19721.html
- Sir John Liddell - http://lordbyron.org/persRec.php?choose=PersRefs&selectPerson=JoLidde1868 (accessed: 19 June 2012)
- "List of Fellows of the Royal Society 1660–2007". Royal Society. July 2007. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 19 May 1848. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 16 August 1850. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 9 February 1864. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- Sir John Liddell, by Camille Silvy, albumen print, 9 April 1861. Photographs Collection NPG Ax52346, http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw156447/Sir-John-Liddell
- Cook, Sir Edward (1871), The Life of Florence Nightingale, (London, MacMillan) pp.348-9.
- Probate registry record http://www.peterbarker.plus.com/n_12.htm