John Locke Foundation
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (November 2011)|
|Type||non-profit policy advocacy group|
|Tax ID No.||56-1656943|
The John Locke Foundation (JLF) is a 501(c)(3) think tank based in North Carolina started in 1990. Its mission statement says the "John Locke Foundation employs research, journalism, and outreach programs to transform government through competition, innovation, personal freedom, and personal responsibility. JLF seeks a better balance between the public sector and private institutions of family, faith, community, and enterprise." The organization advocates lowering taxes, decreasing spending on social welfare programs, and encouraging free markets. John Hood is its current president.
The Foundation is concerned primarily with state and local issues. The John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy was in its initial stages a project of the John Locke Foundation. A co-founder is Art Pope, and his family foundation provides most of the support for the center.
The Foundation is a critic of the mainstream scientific opinion on climate change and has joined with other conservative political advocacy groups to write Congress urging an end to an end to tax credits for wind power and natural gas-fueled vehicles.
The John Locke Foundation's research staff regularly publishes scholarly articles and reports on topics such as budget and tax policy; regulatory, legal, and environmental policy; education policy; and county and local government, including transportation and land-use policies. Those reports are available for review online. 
Every two years, the John Locke Foundation produces an agenda document that focuses on key issues North Carolina state and local governments must address. The latest version of that document is Agenda 2010.
The John Locke Foundation also publishes the Carolina Journal, a monthly publication, as well as CarolinaJournal.com and a weekly hour-long news program, Carolina Journal Radio.
- John Locke Foundation: About
- "The Fisherman's Friend". National Review.
- correspondent, Suzanne Goldenberg US environment (2013-12-20). "Conservative groups spend up to $1bn a year to fight action on climate change". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Brulle, Robert J. "Institutionalizing delay: foundation funding and the creation of U.S. climate change counter-movement organizations". Climatic Change: 1–14. doi:10.1007/s10584-013-1018-7. ISSN 0165-0009. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Abowd, Paul (October 22, 2012). "Obscure nonprofit threatens campaign finance limits beyond Montana". Center for Public Integrity. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- John Locke Foundation: Research
- John Locke Foundation: 2010 Agenda
- John Locke Foundation: Carolina Journal