Lombard as Tulane coach in 1898
December 17, 1872|
New Iberia, Louisiana
|Died||December 4, 1948
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
John Edward Lombard was an American college football coach and player, professor, education official, and engineer. He served as the head coach of the Tulane University football team in 1898. Lombard attended Tulane University, where he organized the school's first football team and served as its captain.
Lombard attended Tulane University, where he organized and played on the first football team. He served as the team captain, and in the game against Louisiana State, another first-year program, he faced Ruffin Pleasant, LSU captain and future Louisiana governor. That game was also noteworthy in that the Tulane coach, T. L. Bayne, coached both sides. Lombard graduated from Tulane with a Master of Engineering degree. He was a member of Alpha Tau Omega.
In 1896, Lombard was appointed to the Tulane faculty, and he taught as an assistant professor of mathematics. He coached the football team in 1898 and led the Olive and Blue to a 1–1 record. That season consisted of a 14–9 victory against Mississippi and a 37–0 defeat at the hands of Louisiana State. In 1899, he was pursuing graduate studies in railway engineering at the University of Wisconsin. The following year, he was on the Tulane Athletic Association advisory board as a faculty member.
By 1912, Lombard held the post of Physical Director of the New Orleans public schools. In 1934, he was serving on the state Board of Education in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In 1940, he was the Louisiana State Supervisor of Teacher Training and Certification.
He died in 1948.
- The ATO Palm, Volume 13, p. 309, Alpha Tau Omega, November 1892.
- Tulane Football 2009 Media Supplement, p. 65, Tulane University, 2009.
- Tulane And LSU To Renew Bloody Grid Feud Today, The Hartford Courant, November 29, 1952.
- Floyd Connor, Football's Most Wanted: The Top 10 Book of the Great Game's Outrageous Characters, Fortunate Fumbles, and Other Oddities, p. 183, Brassey's, 2000.
- Jambalaya, p. 16, Tulane University, 1899.
- Jambalaya, p. 94, Tulane University, 1899.
- Book Reviews: A Monthly Journal Devoted to New and Current Publications, Volume 4, p. 40, Macmillan and Co., 1896.
- 1898, College Football Data Warehouse, retrieved December 11, 2010.
- University of Wisconsin Bulletin, No. 29, p. 289, University of Wisconsin, June 1899.
- Jambalaya, p. 143, Tulane University, 1900.
- Journal of Proceedings and Addresses of the Twenty-Third Annual Meeting Held at Louisville, Kentucky, November 28–30, 1912, p. 13, Southern Educational Association, 1912.
- Journal of Physical Education and Recreation, Volume 5, p. 27, American Physical Education Association, 1934.
- Ninety-Second Annual Report, p. 29, State Department of Education of Louisiana, 1940.
- "John E. Lombard Dead at Capital.", The Times-Picayune, December 6, 1948