John Loring (designer)
|John Loring (designer)|
John Loring in Ken Scott leopard print cotton velvet suit, 1968
|Born||John Robbins Loring
November 23, 1939
Chicago, IL, USA
|Education||Yale University 1960
Académie royale de peinture et de sculpture 1960-1964, (Ecole Beaux Arts de Paris)
|Occupation||design director emeritus of Tiffany & Co., artist, print-maker, author, and photographer|
|Parents||Edward D'Arcy Loring
China Robbins Loring
John Loring, born 1939, is design director emeritus of Tiffany & Co., where he was design director from 1979 to 2009. He is the author of numerous books about Tiffany's and art in general and a longtime contributor to Architectural Digest.
Prior to joining Tiffany in 1979 as design director, Mr. Loring was the New York bureau chief of Architectural Digest, as well as one of the magazine’s principal editorial contributors. Mr. Loring also served as a professor of art at the graduate school of the University of California.
Mr. Loring earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English literature from Yale University in 1960. After graduating, he continued his studies for four more years at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. Since 1964, his prints and paintings have been exhibited in Europe and the United States.
Loring continues to write on art and design. He serves on the Acquisitions Committee of The Museum of Modern Art’s Department of Prints and Illustrated Books. He is also a serious collector of 20th-century furniture and ceramics. Mr. Loring’s interests in cooking and interior design have been recognized in major publications, including The New York Times Magazine, Bon Appetit, Food and Wine, Architectural Digest, House & Garden, L’Oeil, Arbitare, GQ, House Beautiful, Metropolitan Home, Gala,The New Yorker and French Vogue. He was honored with the feature profile in The New Yorker (August 10, 1992).
In a forward to Loring's 2011 photography book "Christian Lost or Found", superstar photojournalist Harry Benson praises his friend, "With every project he tackles, John Loring's instinctive brilliance produces a little magic, and he has one of the best eyes for photography in the world. You cannot but linger over his photographs – You find there a haunting elegance that stays with you."
Public displays of Loring's work include US Customhouse; NYC; Prudential Life Institution Co. of America Eastern home office; Woodbridge, NJ; City of Scranton, PA; Western Savings, Philadelphia; Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen. Loring's work is part of the permanent collections of numerous museums, including:
- Museum of Modern Art
- Whitney Museum of American Art
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Yale University Art Gallery
His one-man shows include Baltimore Museum of Art, 1972; Hundred Acres Gallery, NY, 1972; Pace Editions, 1973, 1977; Long Beach Museum of Art, 1975; A.D.I. Gallery, San Francisco, 1976; Holden Luntz Gallery, Palm Beach, 2011; Sarah Gavlak Gallery, 2012. His works have been exhibited in group shows at Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1971; New York Cultural Centre, 1972; Biennale Graphic Art, Ljublijana, Yugoslavia, 1973, 1977; Intergrafia, Cracow, Poland, 1974; Art Institute of Chicago, 1975; RISD, 1976.
- Christian Lost or Found. Brooklyn, New York: powerHouse Books, 2011
- Joseph Urban. New York: Abrams, 2010
- Tiffany Colored Gems. New York: Abrams, 2007
- Tiffany Pearls. New York: Abrams, 2006
- Tiffany Diamonds. New York: Abrams, 2005
- Tiffany's Palm Beach. New York: Abrams, 2005
- Greetings from Andy Warhol: Christmas at Tiffany's. New York: Abrams, 2004
- Tiffany Timepieces. New York: Abrams, 2004
- Tiffany in Fashion. New York: Abrams, 2003
- Tiffany Flora and Fauna. New York: Abrams, 2003
- Louis Comfort Tiffany at Tiffany & Co.. New York: Abrams, 2002
- Magnificent Tiffany Silver. New York: Abrams, 2001
- Paulding Farnham: Tiffany's Lost Genius. New York: Abrams, 2000
- Tiffany Jewels. New York: Abrams, 1999
- Tiffany's 20th Century: A Portrait of American Style. New York: Abrams, 1997
- A Tiffany Christmas. New York: Doubleday, 1996
- The Tiffany Gourmet Cookbook. New York: Doubleday, 1992
- Tiffany Parties. New York: Doubleday, 1989
- The Tiffany Wedding. New York: Doubleday, 1988
- Tiffany 150 Years. New York: Doubleday, 1987
- Tiffany Taste. New York: Doubleday, 1986
- The New Tiffany Tablesettings. New York: Doubleday, 1981
- 2010 - Artistic Achievement award, American Cancer Society
- 2005 - Lifetime Achievement award, Museum of Art and Design, NYC
- 2004 - Dallas Fashion award
- 2002 - Pratt Legends award
- 1996 - Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree from Pratt Institute
- 1996 - Distinction in Design award from Fashion Group International.
- 1988 - Design and Art Society’s Edith Wharton Award for Excellence
- "John Loring Biography". rogallery.com. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "John Loring". About Tiffany & Co. Tiffany & Co. 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "John Loring". Contributing Writers. Architectural Digest. 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- About Tiffany & Co., John Loring
- Loring, John (2011). Christian Lost or Found. Brooklyn, NY, NY: powerHouse Books. ISBN 978-1-57687-606-0.
- "57th Street". The Collection. MoMA. 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "Marquis Who's Who in America". Archived from the original on 2009-06-15. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Legends Awards recipients". Pratt News. Pratt Institute. October 20, 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- Interview with Architectural Digest
- Official bio from publisher, Abrams Books
- "Party Pictures" (New York Social Diary)
- "An Adoring Loring Farewell" (New York Social Diary)
- "Tiffany & Co. For the Press" (Company Website)