John Madden (director)
|Born||John Philip Madden
8 April 1949
|Alma mater||Cambridge University|
John Philip Madden (born 8 April 1949) is an English director of theatre, film, television, and radio.
Madden was educated at Clifton College. He was in the same house as friend and fellow director Roger Michell.[clarification needed] He began his career in British independent films, and graduated from the University of Cambridge (Sidney Sussex) in 1970 with a B.A. in English literature. He started work in television including directing Prime Suspect 4 and episodes of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (ITV, 1984–1994) and Inspector Morse.
Perhaps his most notable achievement to date was directing Shakespeare in Love, which won the Oscar for Best Picture in 1998, and for which he was also nominated as Best Director; he lost to Steven Spielberg for Saving Private Ryan. The film also won the Silver Bear at the 49th Berlin International Film Festival.
Madden is also a Jury Member for the digital studio Filmaka, a platform for undiscovered filmmakers to show their work to industry professionals.
|1998||Shakespeare in Love|
|2001||Captain Corelli's Mandolin|
|2012||The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel|
|2014||The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2|
- Prime Suspect 4
- After The War (UK TV Series)
- Inspector Morse episodes
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes episodes
- The Widowmaker 1990. Madden insisted on star David Morrissey.
- Masters of Sex pilot
Radio dramas he has directed include the radio versions of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope and Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. Before it was produced for the stage, he directed Wings for NPR's Earplay series, in a production that won the Prix Italia.
- John Madden Biography. Tribute.ca 2011, retrieved 29 September 2011
- John Madden. Yahoo! Movies 2011, retrieved 29 September 2011
- Nominees & Winners for the 71st Academy Awards. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences 2011, retrieved 29 September 2011
- "Berlinale: 1999 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Filmaka Jury Member John Madden, Filmaka.com.
|This article about a United Kingdom film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|