John Maginnis (Louisiana political writer)
John Maginnis is a writer of columns and commentaries on current political events in Louisiana. His column, always about the latest political event in Louisiana, appears in newspapers and other sources around the state. His web site is read by political analysts nationwide as a barometer of governmental trends and events in Louisiana. Maginnis has been interviewed by Robert Siegel on National Public Radio (NPR) concerning Louisiana political trends, and he was Andrea Seabrook's main source of commentary when NPR analyzed the 2008 December 6 upset of Louisiana Democrat William J. Jefferson by Republican newcomer Anh "Joseph" Cao in Louisiana's 2nd congressional district.
Maginnis has been covering Louisiana political events since 1972. He has written two books: The Last Hayride (1984) concerned the rise of Edwin Edwards to a then-unprecedented third term as Governor by defeating Republican David Treen in 1983; and Cross to Bear (1992) narrated the controversial general election of 1991 when Edwards, thought to be politically finished, re-entered the governorship for a fourth term by coming up as the remaining alternative to David Duke.
In 2008 Maginnis began touting Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal as a potential Republican contender for President or Vice President of the United States, while also questioning whether Jindal's potential for those offices was taking Jindal away too frequently from state duties in Louisiana. Maginnis particularly observed Jindal's lack of enthusiasm for the Obama administration's economic "stimulus package" prior to Jindal's speaking to the nation as the Republicans' chosen responder to Obama's first address to Congress on 2009 February 24.
- Profile of Maginnis on BayouBuzz.com.
- For example: Louisiana Made Its Share of History in '08 in the Times-Picayune; Vitter assumes role of target in Lafourche Parish Daily Comet; Candidates take the low road early in Houma Today; D.C. has wrong Mardi Gras spirit in Shreveport Times; "Jindal's fine line" in Daily Star (Hammond, Louisiana), 2009 February 18, p. 4A; and Hurricanes Cause Political Power Outages on Louisiana Newslink.
- For Maginnis' web site, click here. He also publishes Political Review.
- John Maginnis discusses the recent political trends in Louisiana.
- Embattled La. Democrat William Jefferson Ousted.
- Oakland, CA: Darkhorse Press. ISBN ISBN 0-9614138-1-6. See also the Amazon.com reader reviews.
- Oakland, CA: Darkhorse Press. ISBN 0-9614138-2-4. Amazon.com reader reviews.
- Jindal Going Places, But Is He Leading? and John Maginnis in the Twilight Zone.
- Maginnis, "Jindal gears up for national spotlight" in Times-Picayune, 2009 February 18, Saint Tammany Edition, p. B7. Maginnis noted that the date for Jindal's address coincides with Mardi Gras.