|Born||John Kevin Mara
December 1, 1954
New York, New York
|Alma mater||Boston College (B.S.)
Fordham University (J.D.)
Mara was born in New York City and grew up in White Plains, a nearby suburb. He is the eldest son of Ann Mara (née Mumm) and Giants owner Wellington Mara. His ancestry includes Irish, German, and French-Canadian. He attended Iona Preparatory School in nearby New Rochelle, graduating in 1972. He earned a B.S. cum laude in marketing from Boston College in 1976, followed by a law degree in 1979 from Fordham University.
New York Giants
After working as an attorney, John Mara joined the Giants in 1991, serving as the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer until his father's death in 2005, when he assumed the team's presidency. Under John Mara and Steve Tisch, the Giants have won Super Bowl XLII and Super Bowl XLVI.
Mara is the third generation of his family to own the Giants. His grandfather, Tim, founded the team in 1925. Tim's sons, Wellington and Jack (John Mara's uncle), inherited the team in 1959, when Tim Mara died. Among NFL franchises, only the Chicago Bears (controlled by the Halas-McCaskey family since 1921) have been in the hands of one family longer than the Giants.
He and his wife, Denise W. Mara, have one son, John Jr., and four daughters, Lauren, Courtney, Christine, and Erin. He is also an uncle to film actresses Rooney Mara (an Academy Award nominee) and Kate Mara (an Emmy Award nominee).
- Goldstein, Richard (October 25, 2005). "Wellington Mara, Co-Owner of New York Giants, Is Dead at 89". The New York Times.
- John K. Mara, Esq., Official Site of the New York Giants, accessed January 23, 2010
- Daily News (New York) http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/examining-mara-family-tree-ny-giants-seek-fourth-super-bowl-patriots-article-1.1016405. Missing or empty
- "Christine Mara, Christopher Ward". The New York Times. July 22, 2012.
- http://www.cshgreenwich.org/ftpimages/375/download/download_group11061_id358064.pdf. Missing or empty