John Marriott (British politician)
Sir John Arthur Ransome Marriott (17 August 1859 – 6 June 1945) taught modern history at Oxford University from 1884 to 1920. He was an Honorary fellow, formerly fellow, lecturer and tutor in modern History, of Worcester College, Oxford. He served as a Conservative member of Parliament for Oxford from 1917–1922 and for York from 1923–1929. During the course of his lifetime he wrote more than forty books on historical and political subjects.
- George Canning and his Times: A Political Study, John Murray, 1903.
- The Life and Times of Lucius Cary, Viscount Falkland, G. P. Putnams's Sons, 1907.
- The Remaking of Modern Europe from the Outbreak of the French Revolution to the Treaty of Berlin, 1789-1878, Methuen & Co., 1910 [1st Pub. 1909].
- Second Chambers: an Inductive Study in Ppolitical Science, Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1910.
- English Political Institutions; an Introductory Study, Oxford : The Clarendon Press, 1913.
- The French Revolution of 1848 in its Economic Aspect, 2 Vol., Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1913.
- England Since Waterloo, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1916 [1st Pub. 1913].
- The Eastern Question: A Study in European Diplomacy, Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1917.
- English History in Shakspeare, E.P. Dutton Company, 1918.
- Europe and Beyond, E. P. Dutton & Company, 1921.
- Economics and Ethics: A Treatise on Wwealth and Life, Methuen & Co., 1923.
- Makers of Modern Italy: Napoleon-Mussolini, Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1931.
- The English in India: A Problem of Politics, 1932.
- Castlereagh, 1936.
- Commonwealth or Anarchy?: A Survey of Projects of Peace, from the Sixteenth to the Twentieth Century, Oxford University Press, 1939 [1st Pub. 1937].
- English History in English Fiction, Blackie & Son, 1940.
- The Tragedy of Europe, Blackie & Son, 1941.
- Anglo-Russian Relations, 1689-1943, Methuen & Co., 1944.
- Memories of Four Score Years: The Autobiography of the Late Sir John Marriott, Blackie & Son Limited, 1946.
- "The 'Right to Work'," The Nineteenth Century and After, Vol. LXIII, January/June 1908.
- "Democracy, Diplomacy and War," The Edinburgh Review, Vol. CCXXII, N°. 454, October 1915.
- "The Hellenic Factor in the Problem of the Near East," The Edinburgh Review, Vol. CCXXIII, N°. 445, January, 1916.
- "The Foreign Policy of the United States," The Edinburgh Review, Vol. CCXXIX, N°. 468, April 1919.
- "Swiss Democracy," The Edinburgh Review, Vol. CCXXXII, N°. 474, October 1920.
- "The Party System and Parliamentary Government," The Edinburgh Review, Vol. CCXXXIV, N°. 478, October 1921.
- "Under-Garrisoned Dominions," The Living Age, December 1937.
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography, 1992
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by John Marriott
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Oxford
1917 – 1922
|Member of Parliament for the City of York
1923 – 1929
Frederick George Burgess